Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'

Article about: Good morning folks, I thought I'd share with you my latest purchase, a relic helmet found on the positions of the 7 Kompanie, SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 23 'Norge' , part of the Nordland di

Default Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'

Good morning folks,

I thought I'd share with you my latest purchase, a relic helmet found on the positions of the 7 Kompanie, SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 23 'Norge' , part of the Nordland division, in Narwa. This regiment saw heavy combat around the Narwa bridgehead and later the Tannenberg Positions, with the 2nd Btl taking awful casualties, some companies being reduced to a handful of men.

Battle damage is present on the front of the helmet, with either a bullet or piece of shrapnel travelling horizontally from the front-right to front-left (based on what I perceive to be the trajectory), across the wearer's forehead. Additionally, a piece of shrapnel/bullet has come from the wearer's front and through the rear skirt of the helmet. A crack on the wearer's left is also present.

Due to a new found interest in the Narwa battles and the later battles of the Nordland unit after reading Tieke's Tragedy of the Faithful, and Poller et al's book on the SSAA11, this helmet is both a great item to own, but also a sombre reminder of the vicious fighting that took place on the Narwa isthmus from early 1944 until late Summer.

Kindest regards and many thanks
    Harvey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'   Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'  

Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'   Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet from 7/ SS PzrGren Regiment 23 'Norge'
    P
    Many

Hi Harvey

Nice find mate !

How do you know its from that Regiment?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

A number of factors Nick , the location and area where it was found , what it was found with and evidence of the date the action took place suggests this unit were in these posiotions .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings