Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed please

Article about: My son has just purchased this helmet...its meant to be from Normandy...to me it's just Rusty rubbish but I totally understand him buying it,it's his thing and Its what he wants...my questio

Default Help needed please

My son has just purchased this helmet...its meant to be from Normandy...to me it's just Rusty rubbish but I totally understand him buying it,it's his thing and Its what he wants...my question is..will it rust away even more? can it be perserved in anyway like getting a perspex box to display it in....thanks in advance for an advice given
    Attached Images Attached Images Help needed please  Help needed please 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed please
    P
    Many

Soaking it in a bucket of warm water alongside a packet of teabags will make the rust inert and keep it from deteriorating further. Once it’s been in there for a few hours, fish it out and leave it to dry, then wrap it up in a plastic bag with a few silica gel packets to draw out the rest of the moisture.

I’ve followed this process with many of my own pieces of rusty rubbish, and it hasn’t let me down so far!

Regards, B.B.

?

I think the lighter coloured rust is still active and there are chemical treatments you could use to arrest it.
    You will find information on this in the restoration and refurbishment section of the forum.There are a lot of great YouTube videos on rusted relic items as well.
    I like your son's helmet,I hope he appreciates how it ended up buried in a field.
    Even if you leave the helmet untouched it will still be around for your grandchildren.

He totally appreciates and understands how it got there and I totally get why he wanted it that's why I want to help him as much as I can to preserve it...would a perspex box be the best way to display this?

Quote by colinc1968 View Post
    He totally appreciates and understands how it got there and I totally get why he wanted it that's why I want to help him as much as I can to preserve it...would a perspex box be the best way to display this?
    A box would be a nice way to display it, but it isn't necessary in order to preserve it. Once the active rust has been treated, it can sit quite happily on a shelf for years without issue.

B.B.