Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial painted helmet

Article about: Hello members I have a helmet that was bought at a yard sale about twenty years ago .I think it is a m17 but what is with this paint job? G.I. trench art or someone in the sixties smoking so

Default Imperial painted helmet

Hello members I have a helmet that was bought at a yard sale about twenty years ago .I think it is a m17 but what is with this paint job? G.I. trench art or someone in the sixties smoking something? It is steel with a real thick coat of green paint and a lot of art work I have never seen something this wild . Does anyone think it could be period? Thank you for looking . Charlie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial painted helmet   Imperial painted helmet  

Imperial painted helmet   Imperial painted helmet  

Imperial painted helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial painted helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks like this helmet has lots of Bondo (automotive putty) on it. I suspect it was a rusted out relic that someone tried to repair/restore.

Certainly not a Vet art item.

As a side note. Technically there was no German M17 helmet. They were all M16's or M18's. The M17 is a collector term used to denote the steel liner band (versus the original leather band). The Austrian helmets however were designated as the M17. But there are slight differences between them and the German helmets. Mostly the location of the chinstrap lugs
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dos
    ?

It looks like someone used a lot of bondo filler on a relic helmet here..

Edit: Map beat me to it!

Bikers in the US were rather fond of re-purposing everything from Pickelhaube to WWI and WWII helmets for their use. It may be a collecting field itself. Photo shows an example of helmet use from the late 60s. You may have something that was worn by a biker. Neil

Imperial painted helmet

Judging by the right hand side vent lug, it looks like it may have been a Bell L manufactured shell too which is one of th scarcer WW1 shells in that these were only made in a size 64. These shells were manufactured by R. Lindenberg A.G., Remscheid-Hasten and are characterised by their rounded vent lugs although some have been noted with the more familiar rounded off vent lugs.

Andy

Quote by Dos View Post
    It looks like someone used a lot of bondo filler on a relic helmet here.
    Hello,
    Looks like someone also used some other products like weed or acid to paint this helmet...
    Love the shark and spider
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

CBH
    ?

The above is the best forum reply of 2021!

Hello members.I showed post to my wife she was the one who bought it.She reminded me the guy was a biker in the Pegans back in the 60s he also had a 3rd Reich aluminum army buckle I forget all that .thanks charlie

MAP
    ?

Quote by Charlie55 View Post
    Hello members.I showed post to my wife she was the one who bought it.She reminded me the guy was a biker in the Pegans back in the 60s he also had a 3rd Reich aluminum army buckle I forget all that .thanks charlie
    Well....there you go Pagans ....a tough MC
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)