Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M 40 from East Prussia

Article about: Hello ! This helmet was find in East Prussia, Balga peninsula, Heiligenbeil`s kessel. No holes, cracks. I think it's a Luftwaffe helmet, since the blue-gray paint is visible. The most intere

Default M 40 from East Prussia

Hello !

This helmet was find in East Prussia, Balga peninsula, Heiligenbeil`s kessel. No holes, cracks. I think it's a Luftwaffe helmet, since the blue-gray paint is visible. The most interesting thing is that there are traces of tropical repainting ! The decals have not been preserved. They may have been painted over with yellow paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 40 from East Prussia   M 40 from East Prussia  

M 40 from East Prussia   M 40 from East Prussia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M 40 from East Prussia
    P
    Many

Hi Sam,

Your post is best placed in the relic helmets forum and I have moved it accordingly.

Hard to get a feel for the paint colours looking on an iPad and I’m sure you can see better in hand, but certainly an interesting piece of history. Some closeups in natural but low level day light would be great to see. Thanks for sharing.

Andy

Andy ! I give a new photos. Look
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 40 from East Prussia   M 40 from East Prussia  

M 40 from East Prussia  

Another helmet from the same place. Both were lying side by side. Also judging by the remnants of paint - the Luftwaffe.

M 40 from East Prussia  

Thanks for the extra photos Sam. I can certainly see a blue colour in the photos, so yes, potentially Luftwaffe. Sometimes the soil conditions etc can change the colour of things after so many years. If an M40 Luft you would would expect a darker shade of blue/dark feldgrau but perhaps faded after so many years. No doubt, a great piece of history!

Andy ! First helmet with tropical paint ? I think yes

Quote by samland View Post
    Andy ! First helmet with tropical paint ? I think yes
    Could be, but hard to say without seeing it in hand. Different types of soils can change the colour of paint/steel over time. Also, relic helmets are often treated with things like Oxalic acid which can bleach and change the paint somewhat.

Studying the fighting that took place in that area and seeing which units etc were involved might help also to confirm the possibility of Luft units etc being in the region.

Andy