Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M1916 ?

Article about: After years of being a member of this forum and looking at helmets I think I finally got a decent one. I believe this is a wwi M1916 but obviously I’m not positive. Any comments or informa

Default M1916 ?

After years of being a member of this forum and looking at helmets I think I finally got a decent one. I believe this is a wwi M1916 but obviously I’m not positive. Any comments or information appreciated. Wanted to post as a thank you for everyone’s help. This is actually a Christmas present for my fiancée who loves antiques and military collectibles. So thank you everyone for helping me over the years. I finally know when you see one you know if it’s real. This thing looks like it’s been through hell and back.M1916 ?M1916 ?M1916 ?M1916 ?M1916 ?M1916 ?M1916 ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1916 ?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks like a good one to me. Merry Christmas

I think we call these "We" gifts. . LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a M17 and not bad. Nice paint too!
    Any markings similar to one of mine?
    Oh yours is a couple of steps up from being a relic!

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    That is a M17 and not bad. Nice paint too!
    Any markings similar to one of mine?
    Oh yours is a couple of steps up from being a relic!
    Technically, there is no M17 (except for the Austrian M17). Just the M16 that has a steel liner band

Although, yes collectors often have called them M17s as the steel liner band was introduced in 1917 but the Germans never designated them with a different/new model number

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A nice well used example of an M16. Along with the change to the liner band from leather to steel was the change from the brown leather pads to the lighter coloured chrome tanned leather rather than the original vegetable tanned tanned leather.

A great pickup!
    Andy

Very Nice Merry Christmas. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Quote by MAP View Post
    Technically, there is no M17 (except for the Austrian M17). Just the M16 that has a steel liner band

Although, yes collectors often have called them M17s as the steel liner band was introduced in 1917 but the Germans never designated them with a different/new model number
    I'll keep quiet.

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I'll keep quiet.
    Ha No need Rene. You pointed out a very good point. I was just adding a bit of "technical" information. Most people call them M17's anyway.

Merry Christmas to you. Hope all is good down there!