Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 DD Look Alright?

Article about: Hello, I was wondering if my M35 checks out. From what I can tell the Stampings are unintelligible ( ie, too much rust), but the decals look to be somewhat intact. I hope this helmet is at l

?

Default M35 DD Look Alright?

Hello,
    I was wondering if my M35 checks out. From what I can tell the Stampings are unintelligible ( ie, too much rust), but the decals look to be somewhat intact. I hope this helmet is at least a decent one, as this is my first German Helmet I have bought. I do have one question, is this Model of Stahlhelm a particular common one?

Thank you
    M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Look Alright?
    P
    Many

Looks like a nice relic M35 based on these photos. As you have it in hand, you should be able to flip it and look inside and confirm if the air vents are a separate insert which they should be for an M35. Always hard to tell with relic helmets if the decals are good due to poor condition, but it all looks OK based on the photos, but high resolution photos would help to examine them further. If you are talking specifically about Third Reich combat type helmets, M35 were the earliest produced and for a longer period, so to my mind would be the most common to encounter.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Hard to tell if it is an M35 or M40 but with the double decals it should be an M35

Not sure if it was ground dug or just a barn find but looks more like a poorly exposed to the elements barn find. The bright red rust is newer and from these photos doesn't look too deep like most ground dug helmets

With many relic helmets it is near impossible to validate the authenticity of the decals. We have seen our fair share of messed with decals added to helmets and then artificially aged. Most ground dug helmets are treated to an acid bath to stop the rust. Given the brighter red rust it looks like this helmet was never treated

Edit: Andy beat me to it. I take too long to type on my cell phone
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Well, thank you for telling me this, once I get a chance I will take a look at the air vents, only problem is that the rust makes a huge mess… I will also try to get better pictures of the decals.

?

Here are some better pictures of the air vents and decals. Sorry for the poor photos still, not a very good angle.
    M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?

MAP
    ?

It's an M35.

Decals, as I noted earlier are not in a condition that they can be authenticated.

I'm not seeing any obvious red flags so I think it's ok, but no gty as relic helmets are easy to fake

Where was this helmet found?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An oxalic bath will get rid of the rust but you will lose some of the bubbles in time, just what happens with ths degree of corrosion.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Would you suggest an oxalic bath? Would it damage the decal or helmet itself? Also this helmet was found in Russia.

I have a very similar M35 that I acquired on eBay an around 5 years ago and it too was from Russia and indeed posted from Voldagrad (formerly Stalingrad). It was suggested that mine may have been left in a bath of Oxalic acid for some time which may account for the yellowing of the decals and other areas of the shell. This might also explain the colour of the paint being darker than the shade of green you may expect on a DD M35. Being a relic, I applied some Renaissance Wax (not something I would ever do to a non relic item), and it has preserved it very nicely.

Overall, I like the helmet and decals but agree with MAP’s comments about relics being easier to mess with.

Andy
    M35 DD Look Alright?M35 DD Look Alright?

MAP
    ?

I would leave it as is but in a low humidity environment. It will outlast all of us on the forum most likely . If you notice it getting worse then you can try an acid bath or even vinegar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast