Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)

Article about: Hello, Here are photos from one of my recently purchased german helmets. It was purchased from another battlefield "archeologist". According to him, it was found somewhere in "

Default M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)

Hello,

Here are photos from one of my recently purchased german helmets. It was purchased from another battlefield "archeologist". According to him, it was found somewhere in "Courland pocket" frontline positions. I also managed to save photos from the time when the seller found the helmet and photos before helmet was cleaned with oxalic acid and wax coating was applied, by someone who is pretty good with restoring historic items. From what i can tell the helmet is manufactured by: SE, shell size: 64, batch nr. ??05 (unfortunately the layers of paint doesnt allow to recognise first digits), it has owners initials, could be and early production helmet prior 1937./38.? since it has remains from early production M31 aluminium liner band without reinforcements. Both decals indicating branch: Wehrmacht had been painted over. Seems that helmet have 3(?) layers of paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)   M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)  

M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)   M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)  

M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)   M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)  

M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Stahlhelm SE 64, Batch nr. ??05 Wehrmacht reissue(?)
    P
    Many

The helmet has come up particularly well with the oxalic acid treatment.

Yes, I noticed the blue/grey paint inside the dome and where the Heer decal is missing sections. It is hard to say as sometimes Oxalic acid can change the colour of the paint on relic helmets to that bluish hue that we see. Having said that, it may well have been reissued from Luft to Heer. In the first photo (before the treatment) it does look more like apple green, so perhaps it was the acid simply altering the green paint?

Either way, it’s a fascinating relic and a sad reminder of horrors of war.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 11-27-2021 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Typo.

Thanks, it would be interesting to know- how did the helmet transitioned from one military branch to another, from the one it was issued in the beginning?
    With regards,