Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pitting

Article about: Hi. A while ago I bought a helmet of the Stalingrad front this was before the ss helmet incident. As a gift for my friend he did research on it looked at it and was surprised to find white p

?

Default M40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pitting

Hi. A while ago I bought a helmet of the Stalingrad front this was before the ss helmet incident. As a gift for my friend he did research on it looked at it and was surprised to find white paint over pitting of the helmet. Now I’m pissed I need to verify that this is fake and tell the Russians. ThanksM40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pittingM40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pittingM40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pittingM40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pitting these are all the photos I have as of now the suspicious paint over pitting is on the second helmet. The “original” split pins are common reproduction of b and c 1944 the liner seems original the decal seems scrubbed back as to all of this helmet. Your opinions?

- - ------- - -

Photos are bad once I get my hands back on the helmet I can take more photos. This helmet was expensive and it’s said to be much a nice helmet go out this way

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 “winter camouflage” helmet paint over pitting
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Do you mean to say the paint over pitting is on the second "helmet" or the second "photos".

From these photos I can't see anything to say one way or the other. But if your friend does see paint over pitting then you should definitely send it back. Especially if as you say the split pins are repro.

Just goes to show that relics with decals or camo are more of a minefield and harder to authenticate than standard helmets and why I advise people to stay far away from them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

From the photos you posted I don’t see any paint in the pitting and also I wouldn’t say that the liner band belongs to this helmet either, it’s been sprayed with a lacquer or clear coat of some sort to preserve it and I’d say the liner was added to the helmet after. Also I agree with what map has said, relics can be a real minefield and with the prices people want for them these days it’s a better investment to save that few hundred dollars and buy a nice original good condition helmet.

So you’ve had this helmet in hand? You wrote “When I get my hands back on this helmet“.

Did you notice any paint over pitting when you first had your hands on it??

What is your opinion? Can you point out where the paint is over the pitting?

There’s a lot going on with this helmet but you can find the answers if you study some of the older threads.

This is the only way you will learn.

?

I found the original thread sorry I didn’t look in the relic section

?

Yes there is my friend has this helmet currently but am getting my hands back on it on the weekend in the second photo there’s an area in which if you see it in person there’s paint in a little divit in the helmet. I’ve learned that b and c split pins were common reproduction if a forum a little while ago. After my friend notified me about it I didn’t believe it so I tried to sell it then the buyer noticed sn issue with the paint so I had a further look and found it I’ll post better photos soon

?

Opinions I need them I’m trying to sell off my collection?

MAP
    ?

I don't think there is much more to say until there are better photos. These are inconclusive
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yep I’m in possession of it tonight. As another person has stated it seems like I’ve lost all my credibility on the helmet side mostly everywhere. Was this all from the ss forum months ago? And me trying to move away from the helmet collecting? With that I’m selling all my helmets which I bought now. Have a happy new year