Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

M40 sd named snow camo

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my M40, single decal, named snow camo helmet. This helmet was supposedly found near the Russia / Estonia border and was purchased from Russia. Opinions and comments a

Ok gentlemen the result are in, no paint over pitting. The first pictures caused an interesting optical illusion that make bumps appear as pits. Here are more pictures with better angles.
    I used a LED shop light and my hand to position the shadows better, the odd part is that everything looks shiny and brighter in the photos but the paint in person is very flat. I'm thinking that it's part of the cellphone image processing software.
    Another concern I had at first was the way the paint bubbles look under extreme magnification. They almost appear painted over, ultimately I decided against this after examining the entire shell for paint thickness and transition consistency. I even went as far as to slowly scrape apart several bubbles to see if there was original paint under the white, with all showing grey.
    The deciding factor for me was looking at the bristle indentations in the paint. Even though the bubbles look large under magnification they are actually small but high enough to have caused distortion in a brush pattern if it was applied after the corrosion had started. I couldn't find a single place on the helmet where there is a pattern deviation around a bubble.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 sd named snow camo   M40 sd named snow camo  

M40 sd named snow camo   M40 sd named snow camo  

M40 sd named snow camo   M40 sd named snow camo  

M40 sd named snow camo  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 sd named snow camo
    P
    Many

These additional images are very helpful and if as you say there is no paint over pitting then I feel this one is good. Sometimes no matter how good the images are there is nothing like having the helmet in hand. I can’t really fault anything to be honest and it would seem like way to much effort to create. I think it’s an honest snow camo

Andy

Andy,
    Thank you for all the help examining this and other helmets. It is a fascinating and gratifying process to explore the uniqueness and history of helmets like this.

It’s still only my opinion and others may differ but I guess that’s what makes militaria so interesting. Camos are always contentious but fascinating. Here’s a thread from earlier on in the year that you might find interesting. Please check out this beautiful M35 Winter/Snow camo helmet I got at the 2019 S.o.S's!

Now you have to think about how you might display it. Perhaps sitting on a bed of fake snow? They look good under led lights too!

Andy

MAP
    ?

There you go. They are not pits. Just goes to show you how a photo angle can trick the eyes.

So with these new photos I revert back to my original view that it's probably a good helmet that has been cleaned, scrubbed and given an acid bath.

Good work and nice photos

Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP,
    Thank you for all the help and scrutiny, I'm learning each time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5