Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH

Article about: Decided to upload the photos as reference material from another german M40, single decal Wehrmacht helmet, which i was asked to coat with wax, to preserve it after it was cleaned with oxalic

Default M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH

Decided to upload the photos as reference material from another german M40, single decal Wehrmacht helmet, which i was asked to coat with wax, to preserve it after it was cleaned with oxalic acid. The manufacturer is: NS, shell size:66, batch codeN, helmet itself also has remains from inspection stamp. The helmet was bought in Latvia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH   M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH  

M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH   M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH  

M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH   M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Stahlhelm NS66 batch. Nr. DN? Single decal WH
    P
    Many

This one is also very well preserved. I like it when such care is taken with relic items as it shows respect to the original owner.

Thanks, it is something everyone can do if they own relic condition helmet, the only slight disadvantage would be change to the tone of color, and the pitting that is filled with wax, if the helmet is intended to be sold- but it can be solved easy.

Do you think Thanks. the wax help preserve well? I've used it a couple of times and seems to work in my experience. Thanks, Ian.

Quote by Ian Hayes View Post
    Do you think Thanks. the wax help preserve well? I've used it a couple of times and seems to work in my experience. Thanks, Ian.
    I’ve used Renaissance Wax on a couple of relic helmets and find it works very well. If it’s applied over on old relic decal it can bring back a little colour etc Here’s an example:
    Relic DD M35 with shrapnel damage

Andy

Thanks Andy, I like ren wax too. Though does use quite a bit on a helmet. I've used paraffin wax on other items to some sucess. Have you tried this/ Thanks.

Quote by Ian Hayes View Post
    Thanks Andy, I like ren wax too. Though does use quite a bit on a helmet. I've used paraffin wax on other items to some sucess. Have you tried this/ Thanks.
    Thanks John. No I have tired it yet as I don’t have too many relic helmets now but would definitely give it a go. I find with the ren wax a little bit goes a long way.

Andy

Hi,
    I have tried paraffin, but i would prefer bee wax, it tends to be more "plastic" and holds on the surface better it seems, while paraffin is harder and tends to flake off in some areas sometimes.