Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Police Camo

Article about: Evening Gentlemen- Chime in men and share your thoughts please on this M42 that’s being offered to me. Is it worth owning/collecting. Helmets do interest me, but, I have no knowledge or ba

Default M42 Police Camo

Evening Gentlemen-
    Chime in men and share your thoughts please on this M42 that’s being offered to me. Is it worth owning/collecting. Helmets do interest me, but, I have no knowledge or baseline when it comes to painted helmets. Thanks for your time looking at this bucket.

- Von Ritt

M42 Police CamoM42 Police CamoM42 Police CamoM42 Police Camo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Police Camo
    P
    Many

I am rather horrid with helmets, so take my opinion with a heaping pile of salt. Looks like the exterior was painted over, as I /think/ I see some pitting that was painted over. Liner's aging doesn't look right to me, but that could just be my lack of knowledge. Can't comment on decal, but it doesn't seem pointed enough at the base. The shell itself looks nice. I assume someone took a decent 70-80 dollar helmet and tried to make it more than it is. Hard pass for me, but wait for opinions from those that know better than I.

I personally can't comment on the camo, as that kind of stuff is out of my league. Anyway you slice it you have a great helmet though! If the camo turns out to be no good you can always strip off the fake stuff to reveal the nice original paint underneath. I just did that with two helmets in my collection that were overpainted postwar. lets see what the helmet experts have to say first though.

?

Don’t believe the camo paint.
    Last edited by relicz; 01-22-2021 at 04:19 AM.

Appreciate the observations. Few things crossed my mind after studying this helmet a bit more.

1. The rivet is painted, but, not covered in paint, meaning the paint does not meet up with the rivet. There is a definite separation of some type during the painting process. Maybe a different headliner was installed after the painting of the helmet.

2. Noticed the paint does not flow or run off the edges and onto the underside. Maybe it was painted by someone w/ a steady hand.

3. Did the soldiers use a water-based or oil-based paint? Does it appear to have more than one coat? Looks thick.

4. Decal is not in front of me and can only speculate at this point; it does appear to be period.

These comments and observations are posted with the understanding my knowledge of camo helmets is zero.

Keep your comments and opinions coming. Very delighted to learn.

Best-
    Von Ritt

Does not look like a typical camo to me, it seems very unusual, and thus i question its originality, but i cant give an definite opinion. The inside of the helmet and the liner look nice and original in my opinion.

Does the seller provide more pictures? As an Police helmet it should have a Party shield on the other side.

I am sure more experienced collectors will comment soon!

Looking at paint inside the helmet, flaked off, it must have been in cold/attic storage.

Looking at the decal (heavy pitting!) , outside condition of the helmet must be worse than interior. My opinnion thick white paint covers nicely ugly exterior condition of the helmet.

If it were original white paint, there should be rust seeping though white paint. My conclusion, interior condition doesn't match exterior.

MAP
    ?

Von Ritt,

Patina looks forced and recently applied.

I can't see the decal well enough to give an opinion. Who is the maker?

I think your first point on the rivet is telling. From these photos, it looks like it was painted with the liner out. I would expect much more build up of paint around the rivet given the very thick coating.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)