Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My first restoration M42

Article about: I've over the last year got into buying relic helmets and cleaning / preserving them, however with this relatively cheap purchase I thought I'd try my hand at a restoration. Its my first go,

Default My first restoration M42

I've over the last year got into buying relic helmets and cleaning / preserving them, however with this relatively cheap purchase I thought I'd try my hand at a restoration. Its my first go, made mistakes, took longer than I thought (!) and its not perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with it and perhaps more importantly I've gained experience from doing it. I will do one again I'm sure, though as I say I do prefer cleaning and preserving helmets . According to the seller the helmet was fished out of a river in France.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first restoration M42   My first restoration M42  

My first restoration M42   My first restoration M42  

My first restoration M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first restoration M42
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

I don't think you will get too many positive comments here as most of us are not fans of restorations. You did a nice job on the shell, filling in the holes and corrosion, but the paint, decal, liner and strap are not very realistic looking. Cleaning/preserving this one might have been a better choice.

Cheers,
    Terry

Fair enough Terry, I did first do the Oxalic business but even after a few soaks and scrubbing there wasn't much paint left at all. As I say I prefer the cleaning / preserving angle myself, but I wanted to try a resto and again its been a learning curve.

?

Nothing like trying something out. Restoration is an art & a lot of steps for sure. While doing all of that you develop a connection with the helmet and it's former owner in a way, making you wonder about him. Now back to restoration, details matters & a bit of aging for finition makes the difference. You did your first, turned out ok, the next will be better & so on. The thing here is to enjoy doing your project & be proud of the result. Jack

Thanks for that Jack, I did consider ageing it but I think I'll leave as is, as you say maybe the next one. There is a 9 year old boy who is the grandson of a chap my mum knows, he's mad on war and tanks etc rather than football or X - box, and I did think of giving it to him as it would make his day (or month). I was given my first German helmet at that very same age (which I still have). And yes it does make you wonder about the owner, did he survive the war and lost this helmet in a chaotic retreat, or was he killed or wounded in France, was he Heer or SS or Luftwaffe ground troops....we'll never know.

I think you did an excellent job on what was a knackered old ground dug helmet. It’s now something you can display with pride. Well done to you.

I like your idea of gifting it to a younger potential future militaria enthusiast. You have resurrected what was a relic shell into a solid looking item. Personally the decal and replacement liner don't enhance the item but I congratulate you on an interesting excercise.

Quote by M38 View Post
    I don't think you will get too many positive comments here as most of us are not fans of restorations. You did a nice job on the shell, filling in the holes and corrosion, but the paint, decal, liner and strap are not very realistic looking. Cleaning/preserving this one might have been a better choice.

Cheers,
    Terry
    +1

Nice work. Not ment to fool anyone. If you had done too good of a job they would critize that also.