Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My newest arrival in my collection M40

Article about: Hello Here is my newest helmet in my Collection, a M40(Im not shure but on the left side were traces of a decal) with original liner and a destroyed dome, but it is not a groundfound It seem

Default My newest arrival in my collection M40

Hello
    Here is my newest helmet in my Collection, a M40(Im not shure but on the left side were traces of a decal) with original liner and a destroyed dome, but it is not a groundfound
    It seem to be in size 64 and ist camo Feldgrau or Luftwaffenblau
    The interiorring for the liner is broken but complete and the chinstrap is missing
    The Lot is not visible because it is thick original overpainted and I think it have caracter
    What do you think about it?
    is it good, bad or poor a piece of junk
    Im thankful for all replies and comments
    Best regards
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My newest arrival in my collection M40   My newest arrival in my collection M40  

My newest arrival in my collection M40   My newest arrival in my collection M40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My newest arrival in my collection M40
    P
    Many

I really like this one Bavarian it’s a fascinating piece of history.

You can see the original shade inside the dome with a couple of different shades one of which I think may have been winter whitewash.

Nice pickup.

I bet the original owner had a headache after suffering that damage ...

Ah, so you got that one, I was contemplating of getting it as well.
    I agree with it being a cool helmet, might be a Q made helmet, has lots of character, I just didn't buy it because on the photos the top of the helmet looked kind of strang ( I don't mean the battle damage) just had an odd shade of colour on the photos by the seller
    Cool helmet nevertheless!
    Luis

I would guess this one came out of a river or swamp

Hello
    Thanks for the comments
    I think this Helmet and its liner will be in a better condition than all my groundfounds and I think too that it lies in a cellar and would be storaged bad
    Regards

?

Nice helmet. Those puncture lines seem to follow a repetitive and linear pattern, perhaps run over by farm machinery or something at one point. Also could explain the crushed dome. Just speculating.

Regards, Al

Good observation, Aldo, I too was a bit skeptical hence I did hesitate to buy it, could have been run over by a roller towed by a tractor, some of those have spikey things in them that could match up with that.
    I remember a relative telling me that one time when my grandfather was plowing the field something got stuck in the plow, and what was it? A K98, well we don't have it anymore sadly, but shows that in the early post war years things tended to get plowed up so to say.
    So, yeah, could very well have been the case here that it was lying in the field for a few years.
    Luis

Hello
    That make sense and explain the broken shell and linerring
    It must be dug out short after WW2 1946/47 to have this condition of the leather and the colour
    Best regards

?

Yes it obviously didn’t spend much time in the ground otherwise the leather would have been rotted out. You can imagine when the dome was intact the machinery times would have come down straight but as the shell collapsed the lines were less defined. Of course all still speculation, but feasible.
    Cheers, Al

Hello
    I think the helmet is SD Luftwaffe because, it is blue grey painted on the interior ring and the underpart of the decal is visible and the rest of the decal is not so good visible
    Regards