Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My "rustbowl" helmet.

Article about: Hello Forum, I got this... very rusty helmet fresh out of the ground, and bought it because i liked its origin stoy (That can be proven with pictures and information about the place it was d

Default My "rustbowl" helmet.

Hello Forum,

I got this... very rusty helmet fresh out of the ground, and bought it because i liked its origin stoy (That can be proven with pictures and information about the place it was dug.)
    I expected it to be better condition and i planned to try oxcalic acid on it, but seeing how its state is i´m gonna drop that idea, i think i would be left with pieces rather then a helmet.
    It has very brittel remains of the linerband and liner itself, and its atleast a Size 66, if not 68 shell.
    It has 2 major holes that where created as i removed very big rust and dirt bubbels, there was no force needed... they dropped just right off... i think it was burned, because there where remains of coal and other black, burned spots all over the helmet, i´m not sure how the liner surivived that... but he somehow did.
    Most collectors would just call it a rusty piece of trash, and i cant really disagree....

My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.
    Before removing some of the rust.
    My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.
    After.

The interesting about is is its history. It was found in Lübtheen, where in WW2 a Kriegsmarine ammunition depot was. The place was eventually captured by the Americans and most of the over 180 Bunkers there where blown up, although a few remain. On the location where the helmet was found, was supposedly a Prisoner of War camp, and in total there where 3 of them in the whole town. The seller even knows a man who lives there, is 87 years old and remembers everything about that time. She promised me to tell me if she finds anything new about the place, as she cant meet with the guy in the moment anymore because of the Corona Crisis.

The helmet itself was found last Week ago, in a hole with more then 20 other helmets, RAD Cups and Plates, a flat Iron, gas mask containers and gas masks, aswell as a few coins and buttons which where found in a piece of cloth. There where also multiple ammo pouches and other unedentifiable stuff. I´m 100% sure this helmet was found exactly there, as i found the exact location shown using googel maps.

My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.

I got an ammunition pouch and a few Coins with the helmet, and especially the ammo pouch is in an suprisingly good state.
    Its marked *Walsrode 1941" and it even has a Kriegsmarine stamp on it, which further prooves the origin story, which makes the helmet itself probably also a
    Kriegsmarine helmet, although that cant be proven sadly.

My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.

In general i look at the whole buy split, its fantastic to know what exactly happend to a piece of WW2 after the war, where it was found and where it probably belongs too... but the state of the helmet is way worse then expected. The best this is definitly the ammo pouch, especially as its Kriegsmarine, and my first Kriegsmarine item.
    I will display all of it together, as they belong to each other.

Has anyone Tips on how to preserve the leather? I´m really worried it might deteriorate if i do nothing, so anything that could help so it stays in its current condition would be greatly appreciated! I havent used any water, and only a dry tootbrush to clean it so far.

Regards,
    Adravor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My "rustbowl" helmet.
    P
    Many

Here is also a Site showing a few pictures from Lübtheen, nothing that special but further proof of the helmets origin.
    Heimat- und Kulturverein Lübtheen e.V.

Definitely shows signs of having been burnt, I expect it was sat upright and so the liner was not burnt. The k98 pouch will be dry and brittle. The leather needs some moisture returned to it, but may be too far gone. Good to know where your relics came from. I'm curious about the rivet that appears to be bonded to the top of the helmet.

The pouch has some moisture left so far, its definitly not brittel yet and it can be bent a littel bit, any ideas how to keep it from becoming dry?
    I´ve removed the rivet from the helmet, seems to be aluminium.

My "rustbowl" helmet.My "rustbowl" helmet.

?

I think that would be so cool to be able to find one of these buried treasure.
    You being in Germany, I guess the opportunity is more readily available.

Great finds and thanks for sharing them.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Wow Adravor
    A real bad conditioned helmet for a restauration
    I restored my first time a barnfind
    You were great to begin with a Relic
    It is in my eyes a very hard work
    BR
    Bavarian

Yeah, i expected it to be better conditioned, so i´m gonna leave it as it is, i´m probably just gonna scrub it a bit with warm water.

Interesting post Adravor. Great to have something where you are certain of the origins and the history as it really adds to the piece.

An M42 shell.

Looking forward to seeing it cleaned up. Otherwise, you could always display in a Perspex box or similar as an example of how relics are as found.

Andy