Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Named Relic Helmet from Königsberg!

Article about: My helmet finally came in the mail today, along with some other goodies all found in the same foxhole! It is an M40 model, painted in Pea Green (I guess), and has the words Wm. Sasse painted

Default Named Relic Helmet from Königsberg!

My helmet finally came in the mail today, along with some other goodies all found in the same foxhole!

Named Relic Helmet from Königsberg!Named Relic Helmet from Königsberg!

It is an M40 model, painted in Pea Green (I guess), and has the words Wm. Sasse painted on the inner rim. Wilhelm Sasse? I would love to find out which Wilhelm Sasse fought in Königsberg, and if he survived.

Also received was a very nice example of a bullet struck Kochgeschirr aka mess tin, with a W inscribed where the bullet hit. My guess is that the rest of the name was scratched onto the paint, not meant to be on the tin. There are four holes in it from bullets hitting it.

These were also found in the same position. One is Blendax toothpaste, but I don't know what the other thing is. It's faux wood, and 1937 dated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named Relic Helmet from Königsberg!
    P
    Many

CSW
    ?

It's a bakelite container for skin decontamination tablets.

Lots of useful information on these here: MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Hautentgiftung

Cool stuff. If you smell inside the bakelite container, it will probably still smell like chlorine, even though the actual chemical was losantin.

?

Couple of possibles who could be your man !

Detailansicht

Detailansicht
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Nordlicht44 View Post
    It's a bakelite container for skin decontamination tablets.

Lots of useful information on these here: MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Hautentgiftung

Never would have guessed in a million years that's what it was. Thanks!

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Couple of possibles who could be your man !

Detailansicht

Detailansicht
    I THINK YOU GOT HIM! Wilhelm Sasse, (Initials are Wm, not Wi), and the dates and location match up perfectly! Thank you thank you! I've gotta dig deeper on this. Thanks!

Glad it finally arrived for you Rusty! A nice assortment of battlefield items. Looks like someone might have gone digging for a decal and wondering if it was given a bath in some oxalic acid. Nice photos too!

I always like a named helmet - adds that little extra bit of character. Looking forward to hearing anymore information you can find on the original owner.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Glad it finally arrived for you Rusty! A nice assortment of battlefield items. Looks like someone might have gone digging for a decal and wondering if it was given a bath in some oxalic acid. Nice photos too!

I always like a named helmet - adds that little extra bit of character. Looking forward to hearing anymore information you can find on the original owner.

Andy
    Yes, I do think that the finder got a bit frisky with cleaning, but that's okay. All I have to do is tap the rust globs off, seal it in renaissance wax and that's it.

I agree Rusty that this one is a candidate for the Ren Wax. Ive used it on similar relic shells and it adds that little extra layer of protection and even brings the colour back a little. When the British museum developed it in the 50’s one of their aims was to halt the progression of rust.

Andy