Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question: Collecting Relic Helmets

Article about: Hello guys! I have recently begun collecting helmets, and though I told myself WWII German helmets were not going to be on that list, it ended up on it anyway. Anyway, since a good condition

Default Question: Collecting Relic Helmets

Hello guys!
    I have recently begun collecting helmets, and though I told myself WWII German helmets were not going to be on that list, it ended up on it anyway.
    Anyway, since a good condition stahlhelm would be too expensive and more risky of fakes, I chose to begin from seeking out relic helmets. Personally, I always did find relic helmets more interesting.
    That said, I am rather curious of why relic helmets are usually more of a safer purchase. Though I do assume it's depreciation has much to do with it. In addition, since the majority helmets have rusted or have been eroded by time, how exactly does one authenticate one when all markings have all gone?
    Last, I recently came across these helmets and thus my interest was piqued.

I've also been impressed at how people can simply identify whether the paint was real or not.

That said, thank you if you can give me guidance on this long(hopefully) and interesting hobby.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question: Collecting Relic Helmets
    P
    Many

IMO, relics are not more collectable, they are just less expensive, so more people feel that it is a safer investment.
    Also, if one is a relic, most people think that it is more likely not faked.
    If you study helmets, you could discern for yourself if one is original or not.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ahh, "Collectability". why are we attracted to these material things? - the reasons are many and oh so personal. Some do so for profit, some for pleasure, to be the best in class or have the best examples, to be the keepers of history or just whatever is affordable ... the reasons are endless and all are valid. You "collect" for your own reasons and must be satisfied in your own mind as to the item's originality. That comes by learning and this forum is that tool. Drink deep!!
    Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

This is the same philosophy I used when acquiring a Ssh-36, I didn't feel like dropping the money on a complete one so I bought a 100$ relic instead, I don't regret it. Nothing wrong with collecting relic helmets in my opinion.

TWS
    ?

Nothing wrong with collecting relic helmets, but they're really not my cup of tea. Why? Because unless you know where they were recovered, they contain very little history. A helmet in good (or better) condition tells much more of a story. The type of paint, the decals (if any), the liner, liner band, dome stamp (if present), chin strap, any names written in it, etc. all tell little pieces of the story of the helmet.

A rusty, pitted helmet shell that has lost it's paint tells none of those things.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Nothing wrong with collecting relic helmets, but they're really not my cup of tea. Why? Because unless you know where they were recovered, they contain very little history. A helmet in good (or better) condition tells much more of a story. The type of paint, the decals (if any), the liner, liner band, dome stamp (if present), chin strap, any names written in it, etc. all tell little pieces of the story of the helmet.

A rusty, pitted helmet shell that has lost it's paint tells none of those things.
    To add to this. Relics could also (and often) come from "black diggers". People who desecrate the sites of fallen soldiers just to recover these items. You really just don't know despite what the seller claims (for the record, I do own two myself, but only because they were purchased locally from old collections and not from eBay where you find most these days)

Further, while most "plain jane" relics are highly unlikely to be faked, some examples with decals (especially SS) are often faked as these command a premium price. It is extremely easy to slap on a fake SS and then scrub, rub, and treat it to the point that it is near impossible to determine the originality.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Ahh, "Collectability". why are we attracted to these material things? - the reasons are many and oh so personal. Some do so for profit, some for pleasure, to be the best in class or have the best examples, to be the keepers of history or just whatever is affordable ... the reasons are endless and all are valid. You "collect" for your own reasons and must be satisfied in your own mind as to the item's originality. That comes by learning and this forum is that tool. Drink deep!!
    Regards, Dan
    Hey Dan Mate "Stop smoking that Dope"

To OP - Fair enough collecting these, but not for me! but I do own a preserved relic Japanese helmet in my junk pile! so I'm guilty but it is my only one out of around 100 helmets
    Study is a way of identifying paint originality! plenty of resources around here no?

Quote by Laconic View Post
    Hello guys!
    I have recently begun collecting helmets, and though I told myself WWII German helmets were not going to be on that list, it ended up on it anyway.
    Anyway, since a good condition stahlhelm would be too expensive and more risky of fakes, I chose to begin from seeking out relic helmets. Personally, I always did find relic helmets more interesting.
    That said, I am rather curious of why relic helmets are usually more of a safer purchase. Though I do assume it's depreciation has much to do with it. In addition, since the majority helmets have rusted or have been eroded by time, how exactly does one authenticate one when all markings have all gone?
    Last, I recently came across these helmets and thus my interest was piqued.

I've also been impressed at how people can simply identify whether the paint was real or not.

That said, thank you if you can give me guidance on this long(hopefully) and interesting hobby.
    Just like with helmets in good condition it is a question to seek out the ground finds that are worthwhile collecting.
    You can buy 10 German ground finds every day of the week for peanuts. So it always a question of buying quality (which is more expensive) and the quality ones have decals and paint that needs to be authenticated just like with above ground finds so basically your risk to find quality is just the same as with helmets not found in the ground. Yes those are way more expensive but there is also more to enjoy and look at.
    It's those better helmets that have mapped all we know about German helmets today.
    So in my opinion the decision you need to make is what quality you want to go after. In my opinion it's better to go for 1 higher quality one than 10 average rust buckets (so to speak).