Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic found in Poland, infos needed

Article about: Hi there, my name is Nicola and I’m from Roma Italy. I’m new to WW2 collectability (although my grandma has plenty of fascism memorabilia). In a recent trip to Poland (east area, Lublin), I

Nikkk
    ?

Default Relic found in Poland, infos needed

Hi there, my name is Nicola and I’m from Roma Italy. I’m new to WW2 collectability (although my grandma has plenty of fascism memorabilia). In a recent trip to Poland (east area, Lublin), I bought in a local antiques market this metal helmet, I paid really little money for it (around 15 Us dollars). The seller said this was an original ss helmet just used for years by kids for playing…..
    It was painted in black with a thick paint and its interiors probably replaced. I’m trying to spot serials or size number but so far with no luck (hopefully after sanding something will be visible).
    Being a newbie in this world i’m trying to understand if is a real ww2 german helmet and according to its shape and the pics I’ve seen on the web seem to be authentic (m 36 or 42 dunno).

I’ve tried to scratch some of the new paint and no original color arise, only rust…hence I suppose it is a relic probably berried for years
    My intentions are to sand it, paint it with original color and replace its interiors with replicas (if possible) and apply new decals. I know the result will not be the most rare and pricy German helmet but for me being authentic is enough to deserve some room in my house.

I’d like to have your opinion about its authenticity and model infos, also any advice on how to approach the restoration will be highly appreciate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. # ADS

Default Re: Relic found in Poland, infos needed

Well, I can say it is a very rusty M42 helmet. It is real, but overpainted a lot.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

The helmet is a ww2 relic helmet. It has been painted over (as already stated) and the liner does not look like a ww2 german leather liner, to me it looks like a webbing liner. Either way you got it for a great price, not a bad buy!

It is really good relic condition M42 (often edges look like saw), but sadly, it is overpainted.

?

if it were mine I'd strip all that black paint off see what the condition is with the final result then leave as is. its probably found as a relic so for me should be left as a relic but this is just my opinion

?

Quote by Nikkk View Post
    .....My intentions are to sand it, paint it with original color and replace its interiors with replicas (if possible) and apply new decals. I know the result will not be the most rare and pricy German helmet but for me being authentic is enough to deserve some room in my house.
    Nicola, I think after the time and effort you put into this your better off buying a period single decal M42. Once your done you will have lost any semblance of authenticity as it will be a relic thats all sanded down losing any pretence of that facet of its history, then with the postwar paint and postwar decals you have a postwar helmet, nothing authentic about it. You will also have to buy a liner and chinstrap, real ones will cost you about $300 anyway. If you put in a repro liner and strap costing less, you are now even further away from a real helmet.

Also sanding this down you will probably destroy it if is as fragile as what it looks.