Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD

Article about: I showed this briefly about 7 years ago. It came from a Ukrainian seller I dealt with online for a couple of years and bought several relic helmets from. It is ( was ) a rough field overpain

Default A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD

I showed this briefly about 7 years ago. It came from a Ukrainian seller I dealt with online for a couple of years and bought several relic helmets from.
    It is ( was ) a rough field overpaint - a size 64 Quist ( I think ) as the skirt is too rusted to see. ( Lot number seems to be 405 )

This is how he told me the digger sent it to him, along with its liner band and loose pins - which he refitted.

A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD

He then cleaned it up ( a little TOO well ) rubbing out some of the decals in the process and certainly dulling the eagles feathers - but it was actively rusting after being re-exposed to the atmosphere, so what could he do, he said? ........ ah, well, I continue to enjoy it .....hope you do too?

A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD

Some detail of the decals - I thought they had been dug out but I think its the brittle paint flaking off that exposed them.

A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DDA relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A relic rough cammo overpainted M35 DD
    P
    Many

A really cool relic Dan. I love that extra thick over paint, the decals peaking through and the apple green showing in places. Looks like it may have been original owned by a Gefreiter.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Agree. A chunky thick coat of over paint Dan.

I can see why you enjoy it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks, guys,
    I know we all can get pretty anal about any type of cammo but in reality in the field it was "needs must".
    The paint used was probably anything available, thinned with petrol and mixed with whatever crud was available, thus initiating the 'urban myth' of the "zimmerit helmet"
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Still a nice looking lid Dan and your quite right , Camo on helmets was purely on a needs must , local basis . Many of the Helmets that were found in Eastern Estonia haVE a lightish green over paint , they obviously had a large stock of this colour , known locally as " Mummasaare Green " .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings