MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

SE64 relic

Article about: Hi Guys, picked this up on the weekend SE 64 batch #256 thought it would be a likely project for an Oxalic acid bath just to see if any color remained, as luck would have it i decided to was

Default SE64 relic

Hi Guys, picked this up on the weekend SE 64 batch #256 thought it would be a likely project for an Oxalic acid bath just to see if any color remained, as luck would have it i decided to wash most of the crud off with just water and a scrubbing brush and this is what appeared.
    appreciate thoughts and opinions regards B p.s the rivets are not original.
    SE64 relicSE64 relicSE64 relicSE64 relicSE64 relic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SE64 relic   SE64 relic  

SE64 relic   SE64 relic  

SE64 relic   SE64 relic  

SE64 relic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SE64 relic
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice cleaning job. Although tough to tell, it looks like it could possibly be a multi color camo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks like an interesting relic M40 that may have potentially worn a camo at some point. SE is for the manufacturer Sächsische Emailler-und Stanzewerke, Lauter (later hkp).

There are multiple layers of paint in the area close to the replaced front right rivet appearing to show some of the original colour (blue/grey??) paint having been protected by the original pin when overpainted/camoed. Some original looking paint on the outside of the dome as well. Would be interesting to remove the rivet to see what colour the paint is underneath. Any paint inside the dome?

Glad you didn’t use the oxalic.

Andy

Hi Andy, unfortunately there is no paint to be seen inside the dome just a lot of rust and staining, there is a bit of green/grey paint on the inside of the skirt and behind the rivets (which are not rivets just tarted up push pins from office works with blue tac on the inside) the paint left on the outside is very thick and layered, there is also a bit of white something around and in the vent hole in the 5th photo.
    B

Hi B,

Another interesting thing I’ve noticed is the ring of smoother surface that seemingly runs around most of the shell. Makes me wonder if there may have been a band there for camo purposes and when it perished it left a mark? Just a thought.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hi B,

Another interesting thing I’ve noticed is the ring of smoother surface that seemingly runs around most of the shell. Makes me wonder if there may have been a band there for camo purposes and when it perished it left a mark? Just a thought.

Andy
    I saw that too. Was on the fence. But certainly could be.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)