Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What happened to this one?

Article about: I've been looking at this one for about two weeks now, as I really like it. The first thing I noticed was the good amount of paint left (looks okay to me), and traces of snow camo. It was fo

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    In the case of this helmet i would be fairly confident it just rusted out beneath the earth nothing more, most likely buried dome down where water and moisture can accumulate .

Morris
    Could it have been a smaller shrapnel hole, that rotted into a bigger hole over time? That sounds more likely to me. It's scarred, but cool regardless.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What happened to this one?
    P
    Many

It could have been, but its hard to tell. Here is mine (which has been reserved for almost 3 months now, but the seller wont be able to send it until the corona measures are loosend in russia).

What happened to this one?What happened to this one?

Its also named, and because of the Name and Postfeldnummer i could even research the very soldier who wore, and died under it, a forum Member was even able to find the deadnote, with the reason Minen - Mines.

I researched also Steinbeisser on the Volksbund website, and there are about 30 fallen Steinbeissers, if u can find out the exact location where the helmet was found, you may be able to nail it down to a few, if not one soldier.

This reminds me, we should try to make more themed posts, named helmets, batteldamaged helmets, mint helmets and barn find helmets are all nice threads where everyone could show off a few of their helmets!

?

As previously pointed out, the winterised helmet has rusted away, whereas the original post example has suffered blast damage (more accurately from a shell splinter, or even debris, rather than true ‘shrapnel’).
    Thin, rusty steel will break and crumble (as BB describes), whereas good, solid metals will deform and fracture - exactly as in this first example.

Very relieved to hear you mean preservation, rather than restoration!

Superb examples all round, gentlemen.
    All the best, stay safe,
    Bob

Quote by Adravor View Post
    It could have been, but its hard to tell. Here is mine (which has been reserved for almost 3 months now, but the seller wont be able to send it until the corona measures are loosend in russia).

What happened to this one?What happened to this one?

Its also named, and because of the Name and Postfeldnummer i could even research the very soldier who wore, and died under it, a forum Member was even able to find the deadnote, with the reason Minen - Mines.

I researched also Steinbeisser on the Volksbund website, and there are about 30 fallen Steinbeissers, if u can find out the exact location where the helmet was found, you may be able to nail it down to a few, if not one soldier.

I can ask the fellow who is selling the helmet, exact location info. I tried searching the name myself on the Volksbund website, but I have no clue what I'm doing.

Fun fact, "Steinbeisser" / Steinbeißer would literally translate into "stone biter"
    I also agree that it probably just rusted away
    As for Adravors idea about themed posts I think that would be lovely, kind of similar to the ones over on ghw2.

As for shrapnel damaged helmets I'd have these to show.
    #1 ET70 M35 found in a garden in Hausham, Bavaria where the SS Götz von Berlichingen tried to hold off the Americans in a pointless battle in May 1945
    #2 Q62 M40, location unknown unfortunately.
    Hope these pictures illustrate the sorts of cracks you'd expect.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What happened to this one?   What happened to this one?  

What happened to this one?   What happened to this one?  

What happened to this one?   What happened to this one?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2