Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Winter Camo M35 Relic

Article about: I’ve been doing my best to try and steer away from relic helmets. For those of you that don’t know they can be VERY addicting. There was a point where I was practically drowning in relic

Default Winter Camo M35 Relic

I’ve been doing my best to try and steer away from relic helmets. For those of you that don’t know they can be VERY addicting. There was a point where I was practically drowning in relic helmets, if you don’t believe me take a look at the first photo of this thread!

Anyways, I decided a few years back to no longer focus so heavily in relics. I sold off all the examples I had and invested the cash in better quality items. The only way I’ll pick up a relic these days is if the price is just too good to turn down. This particular helmet turned out to be one of those.

I won this example on an auction over on fleabay last weekend and I felt compelled to share it with everyone here on the forum. I was told by the seller that this helmet was supposedly recovered from the infamous Demjansk pocket. Specifically from the positions of the German 30th infantry division. Sadly there’s no proof of this as the seller is just relaying what the relic hunter told him. I still thought this information was worth mentioning though.

The helmet is an M35 DD with a thick winter white camo scheme applied on top of the factory paint. I can still see faint evidence of the tri color decal, but the Heer decal appears to have mostly vanished. I’m not sure if someone tried to uncover it or possibly the decal 'reacted' in some fashion to the white paint.

I know winter camo helmets are commonly faked, especially relics like these, but something about this example gives my gut a good feeling. I looked over it thoroughly with a magnifying glass and I couldn’t find any white paint applied over pitting or rust. For under $90 with shipping included I don’t think I did all that bad! This will surely be one of the few relics I’m going to allow in the collection though.

My Former Collection
    Winter Camo M35 Relic

My Newly Purchased Relic
    Winter Camo M35 RelicWinter Camo M35 RelicWinter Camo M35 RelicWinter Camo M35 RelicWinter Camo M35 RelicWinter Camo M35 Relic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter Camo M35 Relic
    P
    Many

Jarrett, I think for $90 you’ve done well with this. As you would know, winter camos are quite notorious for being the focus of fakers, however, I’m not seeing any red flags so far.

I think this one actually has three coats of paint. I think it’s started off as an apple green DD Heer Helmet, then was overpainted with a thick rough texture paint before being painted with a white wash.

Cool helmet.
    Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Jarrett, I think for $90 you’ve done well with this. As you would know, winter camos are quite notorious for being the focus of fakers, however, I’m not seeing any red flags so far.

I think this one actually has three coats of paint. I think it’s started off as an apple green DD Heer Helmet, then was overpainted with a thick rough texture paint before being painted with a white wash.

Cool helmet.
    Andy
    Thanks Andy! I think your observation on the three coats of paint is true. The inside shows remains of apple green, while on the outside I can see the rough overpaint and white wash. After I won the auction for this helmet I was a bit hesitant of the winter camo paint, but once I got it in hand my opinion quickly changed. My gut is making me lean towards this being a legitimate example.

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Thanks Andy! I think your observation on the three coats on paint is true. The inside shows remains of apple green, while on the outside I can see the rough overpaint and white wash. After I won the auction for this helmet I was a bit hesitant of the winter camo paint, but once I got it in hand my opinion quickly changed. My gut is making me lean towards this being a legitimate example.
    It was actually the decal area where the Heer decal sat, that I noticed the apple green, but in hand I’m sure you can see even more. I also like the fact that where the front rivet has loosened, we can see no pain camo or washi.e. it stopped at the rivet which is generally what you’d want to see. Having said that, rivets did come loose in the field due to the hard abuse these lids suffered but this looks good anyway. I like the colour of the wash too, rather than some of the blinding white you sometimes see on supposed snow camos.

I don’t have too many relics now, but agree that they are interesting and have their one place in the hobby and their one story to tell.

hvm
    ?

Congrats with this find! Great edition to a collection indeed.

Nice addition and a good price. I’ve been on the lookout for a nice relic winter camo myself but they are always obvious fakes or overpriced.

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Nice addition and a good price. I’ve been on the lookout for a nice relic winter camo myself but they are always obvious fakes or overpriced.
    You're not lying there. I've seen some pretty sad winter camo attempts before. Examples with white paint slathered over craters of rust! Since this camo isn't all that hard to replicate 'Just one simple color' fakes are rampant.

Given the harsh conditions of the eastern front a good deal of true winter camos were left behind though. Either from a result of combat damage or just simply abandoned during the hustle and bustle. If you keep your eyes peeled I'm sure you can find yourself a decent example for a fair price. I was just browsing eBay the other day to pass the time while on a road trip.. and boom! I found this helmet.

Not to sound like McDonalds, but I'm Lovin' it! Looks like a great camo, I'll bet ya it displays nice too.

Quote by hvm View Post
    Congrats with this find! Great edition to a collection indeed.
    Love your Bob Ross avatar

The heavy paint may have helped save the steel.