Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Would it be worth restoring this M40?

Article about: Hi guys, first Post here. I've had this semi relic M40 for a while now and always wondered if it would be worth the effort to attempt and restore it. Any help help on what i should look out

?

Default Would it be worth restoring this M40?

Hi guys, first Post here.

I've had this semi relic M40 for a while now and always wondered if it would be worth the effort to attempt and restore it.
    Any help help on what i should look out for when restoring it would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone have any ideas on what that almost decal remnants looking thing on the right side is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would it be worth restoring this M40?   Would it be worth restoring this M40?  

Would it be worth restoring this M40?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would it be worth restoring this M40?
    P
    Many

Most times a full restoration does not gain anything or add to the history. Just my opinion.
    John

Most important thing for me when restoring a helmet or any item is ensuring you are not destroying or hiding anything historically significant i.e. Remains of decals, Old names written or scratched into the helmet, bullet holes, shrapnel marks etc... and (If you find a painted helmet) I cannot stress how important it is to make sure paint on a helmet isnt original before trying to remove it.

As if something is worth restoring? Yes, and no. Some high end restorations for helmets can cost allot if done right but usually collectors prefer relic helmets over restored ones and personal restore jobs usually dont add allot to the overall value of the helmet.
    The helmets I prefer to restore are the ones that have been tampered with and/or painted and modified post war. That way you know you arent removing anything original.

Personally, in its condition I would leave this one alone as the wear and pitting is fairly mild and look to be original to my eye and restoring it would hide its wear which to me adds character and makes a good display piece.
    if you are itching to restore a helmet there are allot of better relic or post war tampered candidates.

Agree with fellow enthusiast Mordecai here 100%. In this case better left as is. The remains of the decal may simply be part of the backing rather than any sign of arm of service. Even so, better left visible.

?

Great as it is.