MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M38 authentication

Article about: I been looking for a German paratrooper helmet for sometime now. Seems I might have hopefully found one. The markers stamp reads ET68 but other than that I don’t know much else about it. T

Default M38 authentication

I been looking for a German paratrooper helmet for sometime now. Seems I might have hopefully found one. The markers stamp reads ET68 but other than that I don’t know much else about it. Thanks for the advises.M38 authenticationM38 authenticationM38 authenticationM38 authenticationM38 authentication
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 authentication
    P
    Many

To me, it looks like a reproduction. The shape of the shell, including the rim edge and the ‘fresh looking’ edges seen on the leather chin straps are a bit suspect. But hopefully you get better advice soon; I speak merely from an observation point of view here; these are and have always been out of my price range. Keep in mind I have seen these helmets sell for well over $20 000. So if its only a fraction of this price I would be wary of that point alone.

M38
    ?

I have to agree. Difficult to say for sure with these few photos but I do not like what I see. The camo paint is pretty convincing, but the shell, liner and straps do not look right. Sorry.

Cheers,'
    Terry

Pal
    ?

There are two worrisome things I see on the first look:
    1. the foam rubber pads look newer than the helmet also the air bubbles in the foam rubber pads appear too even in size.
    2. also the helmet looks smaller than a 68 when using your hand as a guide for size reference. Could just be a photographic illusion. I know the helmet is stamped ET68
    Just the observations of keen but novice M38 collector.
    Best of luck though.

Quote by christek View Post
    To me, it looks like a reproduction. The shape of the shell, including the rim edge and the ‘fresh looking’ edges seen on the leather chin straps are a bit suspect. But hopefully you get better advice soon; I speak merely from an observation point of view here; these are and have always been out of my price range. Keep in mind I have seen these helmets sell for well over $20 000. So if its only a fraction of this price I would be wary of that point alone.
    The price of an original has always been "a bit rich for my blood" so my opinion is based solely on my experience of militaria in general. From that perspective I agree with the points expressed above but what would really make me drop this one like a hot rock is that the foam/rubber pads and chin strap assembly look like they were made last week and rubbed with a bit of dirt.

A decent enough display piece to "dress" a restored vehicle or such like but that is all and then for very low price.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."