Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M38 real or fake?

Article about: Hey all, new to the forum. I came across this that I’m unsure about. The rolled lip, and other things look real to me, but the fact it’s too rusty to see makers marks, and the eagle looks di

Default M38 real or fake?

Hey all, new to the forum. I came across this that I’m unsure about. The rolled lip, and other things look real to me, but the fact it’s too rusty to see makers marks, and the eagle looks different to me... can some more experienced people chime in? Thanks. M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 real or fake?
    P
    Many

You'd need clearer, close-up photographs for the forum's resident experts to be able to help you. The M38 is perhaps the most faked and reproduced of all German steel helmets from the WWII period. Very good reproductions exist which can be very difficult to identify. Even relics are faked. More often, in fact, as they are easier to pass off as genuine.

You'd want close-up photos of the paint on the outer shell, the decal, the bolts, the inner rolled edge and any stamped markings on the inside of the shell. Identifying an original helmet can come down to analyzing the tiniest of details, right down to things like the font used on the size stamps.

Regards, B.B.

Hi welcome to the forum hope you have a great time here! Personally me the price raises a red flag as I think it would be a bit more expensive with remnants of a camo but the experts will be here shortly to help! Try to get crisp up clear photos of the paint and decal/vent areas if possible.

- - ------- - -

You just beat me Brodie lol

Pictures are quite Lo resolution but the camo paint doesn't give me any warm feeling. It looks more tortoise than fallschirmjäger.

Default More close ups. Hope this helps.

M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?M38 real or fake?
    Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    You'd need clearer, close-up photographs for the forum's resident experts to be able to help you. The M38 is perhaps the most faked and reproduced of all German steel helmets from the WWII period. Very good reproductions exist which can be very difficult to identify. Even relics are faked. More often, in fact, as they are easier to pass off as genuine.

You'd want close-up photos of the paint on the outer shell, the decal, the bolts, the inner rolled edge and any stamped markings on the inside of the shell. Identifying an original helmet can come down to analyzing the tiniest of details, right down to things like the font used on the size stamps.

Regards, B.B.

Not a good vibe from this for me either. In the last photo the surface looks very rough as though a pitted surface has been painted over. See what others think.

Perhaps it is a genuine shell but the rest (including the paint) do not belong to this helmet. Note the corrosion of the inner helmet... a ground dug shell tried to be upgraded with a camopaint in my opinion. Also possible that there are filled holes under this big color layer. Even the bolts and nuts do not originally belong to this shell I think. The price should be a red flag too.

Best regards and good time in this forum.

I don't like the paint, doesn't match with the pitting on the inside, also the bolt should be equally as rust, if not even more so, as they are untreated steel ones, but look at them, they have little to no rust on them. Something is not right here...
    Luis

It looks to be a genuine shell, the characteristic 'dip' to the front of the helmet is there... the Chinese repro's do not have this (yet). But I am not at all convinced by the paint. In fairness to the seller, he does point out that the liner is a repro, so he is not trying to 'con' anyone.