Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic M38 Fallschirmjäger helmet ET 68 Kreta

Article about: Hi everyone, What do you think of this helmet. According to the seller this was found on Kreta at or near Maleme. It should be 100% authentic. But is it?? Other question is how to clean this

Default Relic M38 Fallschirmjäger helmet ET 68 Kreta

Hi everyone,

What do you think of this helmet. According to the seller this was found on Kreta at or near Maleme. It should be 100% authentic. But is it?? Other question is how to clean this without damaging the remains of the liner.

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M38 Fallschirmjäger helmet ET 68 Kreta
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks fine to me.

Almost looks like it has been treated with acid already judging by the discoloration of the exterior paint giving it an light green color. (last photo)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Is this a suspect of a fake relic? Why would someone use acid?

Cheers Paul

MAP
    ?

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    Is this a suspect of a fake relic? Why would someone use acid?

Cheers Paul
    Oxalic acid is often used on relic helmets to stop and remove rust. But a side effect is that sometimes it slightly changes the color of any remaining paint. I can not say with any certainty that any acid was used. Just that the lighter green is something I've sometimes seen.

Given it's condition there is no way from the photos to be 100% sure, but the shape of the shell and Font used for the size give me no indication that this is a fake helmet.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It looks weird to me to clean the helmet with oxalic acid and cover it with dirt as if it has just been found in on the battlefield. Anyway, if I would clean this helmet in oxalic acid would the rubber liner be save from the acid? Or would it be destroyed.

Cheers Paul

MAP
    ?

From the photos, I could not see that there was still dirt on it. So most likely it has not been treated. It was just an observation based on the photos.

I've never used Oxalic acid. But I know that some members have done this. If done right I do not think (key word is "think") it materially impacts leather or decals. No idea on rubber though.

Still the helmet from what I can see, looks to be on original relic.

Honestly, I'd use a stiff toothbrush to get rid of anything loose, and then by wand, wipe on some renaissance wax and call it a day.

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Honestly, I'd use a stiff toothbrush to get rid of anything loose, and then by wand, wipe on some renaissance wax and call it a day.
    I agree 100%

This is a relic that doesn't need a whole bunch of attention. Besides knocking off any loose bits, the helmet is fine sitting as it is.

MAP
    ?

I wouldn't knock or do anything. Leave the dirt and cobwebs and dead bugs

Thanks for all your advise. I think I'll go for it. But in auction you'll never know. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast