Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia

Article about: I have my eye on this FJ helmet that has come to my attention. There is currently a reproduction liner and chin strap fitted but I am interested in your opinion of the shell. Very new to thi

Pal
    ?

Default Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia

I have my eye on this FJ helmet that has come to my attention.
    There is currently a reproduction liner and chin strap fitted but I am interested in your opinion of the shell.
    Very new to this and after reading other reviews am awaiting barrage of feedback, probably in the negative but that’s ok. It’s all learning for me.
    So what are your collective thoughts. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia   Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia  

Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia   Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia  

Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia   Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia  

Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some knowledgeable advice sought on FJ helmet ET68 in Australia
    P
    Many

I thought at first that it might be one of the FJ Werke copies, but they are only stamped ET71... they only do the one size. I would be cautiously optimistic that this is a good one. It certainly isn't a Chinese fake, and the rim does look good. I'm sorry that I can't offer more help than that.

Cheers,
    Steve

I had the exact same thoughts as Steve. The photos are not the best, but to me it looks like it a heavily cleaned/scrubbed original shell.

If you could get better photos (especially of the front) it may help.

Kind regards,

Will.

Pal
    ?

Apologies, these are the only photos available to me at the moment. The seller states “The paint definitely has a green tinge in patches; it may have been daubed with a brush or perhaps it had an over-paiant”
    Hope this helps

I still think it is probably good. How much is he asking?

I think the shell is good. Terry should have the definitive answer. Jim G.

M38
    ?

I also agree that the shell is original. Not sure what is going on with the paint - at best, scrubbed and worn. A little splotchy looking, maybe it had varnish or paint on the outside at one time that was removed? Also not sure about the decal as the picture is too blurry to tell anything. Looks original inside. If you are looking for a real shell and are willing to accept some post war abuse, this one would be okay as long as the price reflects the condition. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Terry

Pal
    ?

They are asking $2000USD
    That seems reasonable to me if it’s original and with a 20-25% decal. Thoughts?
    Thanks to all that have responded.
    Is there any one thing that I should be looking for with this helmet to assist with determining originality/fake?
    Thanks again all.

M38
    ?

We look at the contours of the shell, the angle and size of the relatively short skirt on these, particularly in the front (brim), the stampings in the metal, and the scroll line on the inside of the rolled rim. Among other things. Paint is critical, as well as whether the decal is original too of course. I think that price tag is not crazy but not a bargain either, considering the overall condition. If you were ever lucky enough to find an original liner, strap, and bolts to fit it, that would cost about twice as much as the shell and then you'd have as much invested as buying one untouched in better condition. But if you just want a representative M38 shell to sit on the shelf, this one would fit the bill. Sorry, maybe this is too much information??

Cheers,
    Terry

Pal
    ?

Thanks Terry. I don’t believe there can ever be too much information offered in the case of these helmets.