Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Poor research is no excuse

Article about: For years a British medal dealer had a Continuation War Medal with Swedish text for sale at a ridiculous price. They tried to justify it with the explanation that the medal was "awarded

Default Poor research is no excuse

For years a British medal dealer had a Continuation War Medal with Swedish text for sale at a ridiculous price. They tried to justify it with the explanation that the medal was "awarded to Swedish volunteers who went to help the Finns". I emailed them and pointed out that this was nonsense. Swedish is an official language in Finland and the medal was intended for Swedish-speaking Finns. They, of course, ignored my advice.

On ebay there were two examples for sale, which illustrate this point. One being sold in Finland at £9.21 and one for sale from another country for £126 ..... and the reason for the high price?

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Poor research is no excuse   Poor research is no excuse  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Poor research is no excuse
    P
    Many

I have little doubt that someone will pay up.....the sellers either KNOW what it is but are trying to get what they can.....or they DON'T KNOW so thinks it's worth more than it is. I quite often try to advise online sellers if they've got the price or description wrong...a small percentage thank me...but most tell me "it's priced to sell" and then I take great delight in watching it get re-listed over the coming months, at slightly lower prices until I buy it at the price I said it was worth.....some sellers (begrudgingly) acknowledge that fact.....but the rest just hate me.....

...from a buyers point of view, as you say, it's all about the research......

?

unless it's someone "fame" but most likely just fishing attempt...

"It is not the seller who is stupid, who ask too much. But the buyer who pays it." Finnish saying.

But yeah, that is stupid to try to get 1200% win-profit for 10€ medal. That just turns customers away when they realize seller prices are ridiculously overpriced, and never looks twice at his direction after that.

Always same thing, when you see finnish stuff outside finland it always goes with text RARE or SUPER RARE item and price is very very high compared to prices in finland.