Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sohlberg M/17 with strange decals ???

Article about: Hi, This is Sohlberg m17 helmet either for Imperial Russian army or for Finnish army, correct ? But can someone tell me what is this “decal” on both sides of the helmet ? It looks like there

Default Sohlberg M/17 with strange decals ???

Hi,

This is Sohlberg m17 helmet either for Imperial Russian army or for Finnish army, correct ?
    But can someone tell me what is this “decal” on both sides of the helmet ?
    It looks like there might have been third color also, but it has fainted away or something ?
    There are no stamps other than 54 in a circle (size?) and self made swastika.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sohlberg M/17 with strange decals ???
    P
    Many

Those markings are pure german fantasy. And looks to be made by red and black marker pen. Possibly made by kid influenced by Commando comics.
    Try washing them off carefully with spirits.
    That faint round stamp next to swastica is factory stamp, original to helmet, don't swash that off.

Chinstrap is not original, but cloth liner is. Dark green paint shade is correct russian. I have exactly similar helmet without "corrugated iron" liner inside of it, missing or taken off because uncomfortable to user.
    Original pre-1918 made helmet. After 1918 Finnish refurbished m/17 helmets are light-green.

Moro Verikauha,

I dont think this ”decal” is meant to be German in the first place. I think it represents something totally different. Infantry unit, country, you name it..... Made by kid with a marker, not very likely, because the decal is thicker like made with paint (by a kid). But it sure looks like it has been there quite some time, because scratches and dents have become later than the ”decal” colors.

Hmm, true, Reichwehr decal colors are black/white/red but colors don't match. But I kinda argue that maker didn't know either.
    If it was done in 1960-ties, it would still be 60years old decal in 102year old helmet.

It is russian helmets, thus it feels odd to have that shield decal.
    And swastica is hard to guess, as pre-war period it belonged only to Latvian and Finnish airforce, ignoring nazi party and lucky charm.
    If it was used in European civil war 1918-24 in east-europe, then it becames very hard to locate meaning or location for the decal.

Do you know any history for the helmet itself, or country where it was acquired.

I agree totally that this is Russian m/17 helmet made by Sohlberg.
    I bought this helmet from an older gentleman who said he found it from his fathers belongings. So nothing there which could help identify this.
    Only color matching I have found is bulgarian helmet decal. Not exactly same but close...

?

Well not only russians and the finns are known to have used the Solhberg m/17´s. Poland and Czechoslovakia are 2 other countries that used them in a smal scale. I wouldn´t be surprised if most bodering naighbours of old Russia used them in one way or other.