Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Winter War Medal 1939-40

Article about: Just picked up this nice Winter War medal. I really like the design of this medal particularly the 'sniper' on the obverse This example has the Laatokan Karjala bar. In total there were 15 b

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter War Medal 1939-40  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter War Medal 1939-40
    P
    Many

the British volunteers received the medal with clasp Kotijoukot. Their award document was also different to the standard one.
    Steve

Quote by OldBraggs View Post
    the British volunteers received the medal with clasp Kotijoukot. Their award document was also different to the standard one.
    Steve
    That's interesting Steve, do you have any more info on the British volunteers?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nick, when I get home I will sort out some images from my collection.

Nick, I have spent 20 years researching them in the UK and Finland. I have documents, medals, badges, photos and enough research to write a book - which I am working on. They were a remarkable group of men with very interesting stories. My avatar is the Osasto Sisu badge which was presented to the British volunteers before they left Finland.
    Steve

Fascinating, cant wait to see the images

Thank you

Nick

Winter War Medal 1939-40Latest addition Mantsinsaari

Only need three more for full set...

Kainuu
    Soumussalma
    Tolvajarvi

Mantsinsaari Island is an island on the North-East of Lake Ladoga in the Salmi settlement in the Pitkyaranta municipality in the Republic of Karelia. The island is nearly uninhabited. Before the Second world war, the island was part of the municipality of Salmi in Finland and it was 1.500 inhabitants. The island had no bridge, is a cable car ferry. The main sources of income are farming and fishing. The island of mantsinsaari was an artillery battery, two 152-mm Canet coastal artillery 45. During the Winter war, artillery had assisted the Finnish troops in the battles North of lake Ladoga. The red Army failed to conquer the island.

Winter War Medal 1939-40Finally found Kainuu!

Just need two more required for the set, Soumusalma and Tolvajarvi

Nick

Finally I have the complete set!

Soumusalma and Tolvajarvi arrived today

NickWinter War Medal 1939-40

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast