Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2nd Edition - Japan at War is out!

Article about: I never saw the 1st Edition, but Russ Arendell, Gunnar Abramson, and Nick Komiya have collaborated to produce the 2nd Edition of "Japan at War", and it is an amazing tome! They cov

?

Heitai is a good for start full f pictures but the article of Nick are better if you like known good the Japanese militaria

Heitai is good enough as a picture catalogue. I don't need to pay top dollars for pictures I can find for free on google image.

What really matters to me is the excellent work of Nick Komiya. I would have been glad to buy a copy at any price only if he would have been the one who received the benefits of it.

Considering the awful behaviour of the people who actually sell "Japan at War" I won't touch it. Scrooges won't get richer thank to me. I can do my own PDF with Nick's work and illustration pictures for free.

What a failure for our community. I am sorry to hear other kind guys than Nick have been disapointed by the "author". So rude.

I don't know Russ Arendell, and I didn't start this thread to defend him, and I'm not. He promised Nick 2 copies, and he should man-up and keep his word. But I went back and re-read his thread about the book, and he's selling the books at cost, and paid out-of-pocket the shipping fee for the initial print run (he will not on any further runs) and plans to post the whole thing for free on his website once the interest in hard-copies dwindles off. So, I doubt anyone is "receiving benifits" from it.

I posted this thread because there are a ton of guys on this site that love collecting, and reading about, and gawking at pictures of all things WWII Japanese. Years from now, when all the Soap-opera stuff is long forgotten, this volume will be enjoyed by many who never knew the people involved. Some people are jerks. Some people are gruff and blunt. Some people have thin skin and don't know how to get along with gruff, blunt people. Some people have egos that need to be fed. Welcome to the World of Guys who Study War.

I feel for those who feel they were wronged. I don't have to like the guys that made it, but I do my best to tolerate everyone because we are in a community of fellow collectors that must live with each other in our efforts. Anytime you get 2 or more people together for a while, clashes will occur, even among best friends.

It's a good book. I like it.

?

Just saw this thread. Wow. Let me clarify a few responses.
    1. I make nothing from these books. In fact I lose money every time. It's ok, as it is a hobby, I intend to sell at my cost per book and it is a self-growth thing. In fact, I just over-stepped my limitations again, in agreeing to ship at my cost, the new Carcano book I am printing as we speak.. I do it almost every time. Exuberance on my part I guess. A sound reason why my profession is not business, but emotionally based. I would not make a good business man.
    2. There are people out there that have profound self-character demons they deal with on a daily basis. Narcissism, self-dissatisfaction, jealousy, hate, attention-seeking, etc.
    3. Mr. Komiya is a cherished researcher and valued by myself and others in the researching/information role. Invaluable. He also has some demons he deals with and can be oddly arbitrary in his communications with others. I have seen this first hand in our interactions. I will not agree to an arbitrary demand to cease using information he agreed that I could use when I am getting ready to go to print. It's just odd and telling. There was a build up of ugliness that he engaged in, in text, that led to my response, "concerning him no longer needing complimentary copies"? He never responded to me. His copies are still here. As a healthy, emotionally stable "man" he knows, deep down, what he needs to do to receive the said copies. I continue to cherish Mr. Komiya's efforts/works, though I have not read his work here in quite awhile. I will be sure to do so.
    4. There are collector's that enjoy jumping in with untruths to have a "me too" moment. I see it all the time.
    5. I take great personal satisfaction that some of the books I make (with a GREAT deal of help from others) will , hopefully, stand the test of time. What a great moment we live in with information coming out in many collecting field we have interest in.
    I wish all a wonderful NEW Year. I will be sure to post with additional work, I am involved in, frequently. Best Regards, Russ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2