Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru

Article about: Hello and Greetings: I am posting pictures of two additional Yosegaki Hinomaru that have been made available. I would appreciate any feedback as to any translations and the authenticity of b

?

Default Imamiya Shrine Stamp Flag

Hello: I have attached what I hope are better images of the flag that Nick has identified as having a stamp from the Imamiya Shrine. I would appreciate any feedback as to authenticity and translations of anything interesting. Hopefully the flag orientation is correct. I organized the close up pictures starting in the lower left corner then going clockwise. Thank you!

This is a "Plain Jane" bore of a flag with very little character. Nothing of interest besides the top line and first quadrant (Just names otherwise). Probably OK, but not a one-looker and readily fakeable the shrine stamp included. Least promising of the 3 flags.

What I like about it are
    1. Silk flag not cotton
    2. Patriotic poetic slogans in the first quadrant in WW2 language

What I do not like about it
    1. Shrine stamp identical to one in current use and no inscription by the shrine itself.
    All you need to do is to take a blank silk flag to the shrine and get it stamped.
    2. Dedication to Kazuo Kawahara looks extremely neat and almost printed onto the flag instead of written. I think I see brush traces in the closeup, but not sure without inspection in hand.

?

Default Kanbun Poem Flag

Hello: I had also posted on this thread pictures of a flag with what has been identified as a poem written in Kanbun style. I have additional pictures that are of better quality to post. Unfortunately, while the saved pictures on my computer are in the correct orientation, when I post them here they are coming out rotated into an incorrect position. I wil post the better quality full flag view here, although the orientation is incorrect. Can anyone suggest how I can solve the rotation issue, without changing the apparently correct position they are in on my computer? I was hoping that the better pictures would allow for a better review of the flag as to authenticity and correctness of the characters/phrases. Thanks!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru   Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru  

Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru   Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru  

?

Thank you Nick! Your observations are much appreciated. I just tried to post better quality images of the Kanbun poem flag but for some reason they are rotating into an incorrect position on the thread. The pictures are in the correct orientation when I view them on my computer. I posted them the same as the Imamiya shrine stamp flag so I don't understand what the issue is. My apologies on these pictures. Other than my rotating the save pictures on my computer, I am hoping that there is an easier fix.

The Chinese poem in the first quadrant is called Kanshi, not Kanbun, and this was a poem read by a Samurai named Kunimoto Shinohara during the Civil War in 1873, warning about the dangerous unrest spreading throughout Japan like a rainy mist and the need for the Satsuma Clan to rise like sharp swords in aid of the Emperor. This quote likely places the origin of this flag in Kagoshima. The flag was presented to a Kenzo Tsuzuku.

The Kanshi likening the WW2 situation to the crisis of 1873 gives it character, but otherwise the flag has no further content of interest. This one looks like cotton and is in the square format, not in a flag profile as common with cotton examples.

The inscription in the lower right quadrant "Come Home in Victory" is a bit strange, as the language format is more typical for postwar use, not how you got taught to write normally in those days.

?

Thank you Nick!!! Seems to be some "red flags" with this flag (pardon the pun) as well. I had not realized that a square format flag in cotton is unusual. I will likely pass on the Imamiya shrine stamp flag and the Kanshi poem flag. I have better quality images of the flag with the face caricature that I will shortly post. Hopefully the image rotation will be correct. I would like to know what is causing the image issue between my computer and this forum.

Quote by Bobby View Post
    ... I would like to know what is causing the image issue between my computer and this forum.
    Your images are posting right-side-up on my computer.

-- Guy

?

Hi Nick, and anyone else following this thread. Attached are better quality images of the flag with a face caricature that I had posted earlier. Also has what appears to be multiple Shrine stamps on it. First time that I have come across a Yosegaki Hinomaru with a face drawn on it. Hopefully it is authentic, and that the face was not drawn to get attention. I would be curious to know if the person that drew the face is associated with any personal name on the flag.

?

Strange, the pictures of the last two flags that I posted are showing up in the wrong orientation on this forum while reading on my computer. And they have the correct orientation when opening them up on my PC. I will try running the pictures through Photoshop and re-saving and checking on the orientation.

Quote by Bobby View Post
    Strange, the pictures of the last two flags that I posted are showing up in the wrong orientation on this forum while reading on my computer. And they have the correct orientation when opening them up on my PC. I will try running the pictures through Photoshop and re-saving and checking on the orientation.
    Yeah, now on mine as well. Oh well -- you've done your best to orient them properly. "Stuff happens."

-- Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast