Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru

Article about: Hello and Greetings: I am posting pictures of two additional Yosegaki Hinomaru that have been made available. I would appreciate any feedback as to any translations and the authenticity of b

?

Maybe a moderator will read this thread and have a suggestion on what I can do to properly orient the pictures. I am grateful for the feedback that I have been getting on my Yosegaki Hinomaru posts and don't want to make it difficult to view the pictures. For the heck of it, I ran the last group of flag pictures (for the flag with the face caricature) through Photoshop on my computer. Looks like that may have worked, based on the preview.

?

Hello Nick. I was just able to re-post the higher quality pictures of the flag with the face caricature, in what I believe is the correct orientation. This flag is the one that you originally thought was the most authentic of the three total that I posted. If you have the opportunity to view the newly posted pictures, would you have any additional thoughts on this flag? Is there any indication who drew the face? And any interesting slogans...is that a slogan on the left side with the large characters? Thank you.

?

Hi Guy. Looks like running the pictures through Photoshop and re-saving them worked, in regards to the orientation as seen on my PC matching what I posted on this forum. I did not make any modifications to the pictures, I just opened them in Photoshop and saved them. Strange!

You misunderstood me about the Kanshi flag. Square handkerchief format ones are typically in cotton and served as budget versions of Yosegaki flags. I suspect they were decorations meant to be hung from clothing lines, etc. The official national flag of Japan is in a special ratio called the silver ratio.

The Kanshi flag is OK and I would not call the modern inflection in the language a red flag. However, despite quoting a famous kanshi, there is no dignity in the handwriting that delivers it, which gives the impression of a child trying to act like an adult.

In comparison to the foregoing two from "Country Yokel" types, the last one is from the highly cultured university graduate class. From the class of people that became officers. They are those from the former Samurai class that strongly believed in "You are how you write". Not one of the many stamps on this flag is a shrine stamp, but signature stamps used by calligraphers and artists to sign works of their art.

This flag is full of quotes from the classics, so I will not bother with them all and explain only a few of them.

It seems the flag was presented to an Apprentice Officer named Ogawa (upside down writing in the 10 o'clock position)

The most dynamic writing to the left edge was done by the most senior person, who launched the dedications, and he wrote "Imperial Winds all Encompassing". He signed with two stamps.

In the 2 o'clock position, Ogawa's father dedicated a quote from Masashige Kusunoki that went "A warrior that knows the virtue of benevolence, faithful to the values of righteousness, duty and courage can neither be scorched by fire nor drowned in water"

The caricature is from a close friend on a first name basis with Ogawa, who wrote "Stay well, you Beanpole. Shorty" So Ogawa was a tall, lanky sort while his buddy was small.

This flag is just loaded with content and culture, one I would own with pride myself. I can guarantee the authenticity of this flag 100%, but don't expect me to translate any more of it.

?

Thank you Nick. I have learned quite a bit from you through this thread. Yosegaki Hinomaru is a new interest for me, although I have been interested in Japanese culture and WWII and earlier militaria for some time. Unlike other forms of Japanese militaria (swords, uniforms, firearms), I can only find one book on the topic of Yosegaki Hinomaru to learn from.

Being of limited budget and wishing the most interesting and authentic types of flags, I will focus on obtaining the last one with the facial caricature.

I appreciate your kindness in helping me.

Good choice, is that flag from a vet or from Japan? Apprentice or probationary officers were often university students prepped to be Tokko pilots like in my flag discussed here
    Doing research on Yosegaki flags -

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

That article shows you how to research and make these flags tell you their secret stories.

?

Hi Nick. I don't think that the current owner of the flag knows about the history and prior ownership of it. But I will ask and post if I find out more. Thank you for the link to the article. I will read it with great interest.

Bobby
    Like What Nick replyed on #15. The Chinese poem in the first quadrant is a 7-Character poem 七言律詩 called 書懐 wrote by Kunimoto Shinohara 篠原国幹,but with a little modified.
    The original is:有雨有烟又有雲 四百餘州亂紛紛 腰間秋水今方試 掃了妖邪謁國君
    The poem on the flag is:風雨有烟又風雲 中原萬里亂紛紛 腰間秋水今方試 掃了妖邪謁國君

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3