Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Japanese ID Tag

Article about: This is another original ID tag collected by the US 6th Army during the battle for the Philippines. The tags were used to train intelligence officers as they prepared for the invasion of Jap

Default Another Japanese ID Tag

Another Japanese ID TagAnother Japanese ID Tag

This is another original ID tag collected by the US 6th Army during the battle for the Philippines. The tags were used to train intelligence officers as they prepared for the invasion of Japan. The ID tags were stapled to the index card so I do not know what is on the back.

Compared the previous tag I posted, this has lots of information but I am having a hard time figuring out which unit this is. The right column is 8-6- Transport-1 and the left is: Infantry- 1-7-Regiment- 9-5. “O” on the far left was a blood type stamp probably added by the soldier. When I searched for 86th transport I came up blank. However, 17th Infantry Regiment was part of the 8th Infantry Group Headquarters/ 8th Division assigned to the Philippines. So, part of this lines up but I am still not sure how to interpret the right column.

As always, thanks for any assistance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Japanese ID Tag  

...The right column is 8-6- Transport-1 ...
    It is 8-Water
    八水 [not 六, 6]

八水輸一
    番歩一七補九五

8 Water Transport 1
    Number Infantry 17 Reserve 95

I do not know how this will translate; hopefully the ID collectors can educate us.

-- Guy

?

I read it as the 8th (Division) Marine Transport Labor Unit #1, 17th Infantry Regiment, Reserve #95. Support units like this are a big unknown to me within the Japanese order of battle universe. They were of vital importance to the functioning of the army, but very little, at least in English, has been written about their place within the IJA. A very cool tag!

Tom

Wow, never would have figured this out. I found this reference to Labor Units on-line in the “Handbook on Japanese Military Forces 15 September 1944”:

“Regimental pioneer (labor) unit. The type "A" organization definitely includes in its establishment a regimental pioneer unit of set composition. This consists of a commander, 6 sections, and a material section. It numbers from 100 to 200 men, and its duties consist of general construction work. When "B" class divisions are moved into areas where personnel are required for demolition work, road construction, etc. , a labor unit, consisting of four or five sections, can be drawn from the infantry companies and augmented by a few engineers. While a regimental labor company, with a strength as high as 250, may be found in any division, this does not necessarily involve any increase in the strength of the regiments.”

From reading this, I gather is that these were basically engineering units that would draw from infantry companies within the regiment/division.

?

I believe your unit's tag was more in line with the likes of stevedores rather than engineers.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that makes sense. I was thinking "engineers" much the same as the US engineering battalions which were largely composed of construction workers and equipment operators rather than engineers. But given the hierarchical nature of the Japanese, you interpretation makes sense. I have another tag from what I believe is another Labor Unit that I will post later.