Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Mystery Flag

Article about: Hello Everyone, I’m looking for some help with this flag. A dealer friend of mine just picked it up thinking I would be interested in it. I have never seen anything like it, but I am absol

?

Default Another Mystery Flag

Hello Everyone,
    I’m looking for some help with this flag. A dealer friend of mine just picked it up thinking I would be interested in it. I have never seen anything like it, but I am absolutely no expert. Please forgive me if the photos are not oriented correctly. I don’t think this flag is military, although I’m pretty confident from the military intelligence stamp that it is WW2 period. Most likely grabbed up by a souvenir hungry G.I. Off the front of some street merchants shop. I would love some opinions or insight by some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum. I appreciate all of your help with this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Mystery Flag   Another Mystery Flag  

Another Mystery Flag   Another Mystery Flag  

I would stay away from that. The scribbled writing in the corners are not Japanese, but faked gibberish, so not even a hint anywhere that the flag was Japanese. The flag's proportions are also off for anything Japanese. I would normally doubt the capture stamp under such circumstances. Was it often that a "for documents only" stamp was used on other items captured? Anyway, it's not army, navy nor a nautical signal flag.

?

Nick, Thank you for the information. I had strong suspicions that the writing in the corners was nonsensical gibberish. I strongly suspect now that the stamp and kanji were added to try to give the flag some legitimacy to some unsuspecting souvenir hungry G.I. to part them from their money.