Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet

Article about: Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from Cpl. John McHugh, 3rd squad (squad leader) unk Co. 2nd Battalion, 132nd Infantry Regiment. Lijima corp. sword, out of

?

Default Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet

Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from Cpl. John McHugh, 3rd squad (squad leader) unk Co. 2nd Battalion, 132nd Infantry Regiment.
    Lijima corp. sword, out of Tokyo 1st arsenal production series, Lijima is one of six authorized producers of Type 95 NCO swords. The inspection mark to the right of the serial numbers correspond to the Tokyo 1st inspection mark. The prayer flag is named to Mr. Sadaharu Saiki.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet   Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet   Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet   Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

Attached Images Attached Images Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet 

?

Wear/use on NCO 95 blade... pics of the veteran... and wear/use on military safety knife
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet   Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

Attached Images Attached Images Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet 

?

Mchugh's name in book... along with some action accounts at Guadalcanal...

Attached Images Attached Images Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet 

I'm confused. The photo shows an army infantryman who was award the Combat Infantryman's Badge, and the write-up is about a Marine.
    =====
    東京渋谷鎮座田中稲荷神社
    Tōkyō Shibuya Chinza Tanaka inari jinja
    Tokyo Shibuya Enshrinement Tanaka Inari Shrine

佐伯定治殿
    Saeki Sadaharu−dono
    Mr Saeki Sadaharu [Saeki is the family name]

祈願 Shingan [prayers; supplication]
    武運長久
    Buun Chōkyū
    Prayers for Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

Toyosaka Inari Shrine in Shibuya, Tokyo
    Today it is called the Toyosaka Inari Shrine

More about Inari Shrines

Inari shrines
    The number of branch shrines gives an approximate indication of their religious significance, and neither Ise Shrine nor Izumo-taisha can claim the first place. By far the most numerous are shrines dedicated to Inari, tutelary kami of agriculture popular all over Japan, which alone constitute almost a third of the total. Inari also protects fishing, commerce, and productivity in general. For this reason, many modern Japanese corporations have shrines dedicated to Inari on their premises. Inari shrines are usually very small and therefore easy to maintain, but can also be very large, as in the case of Fushimi Inari Taisha, the head shrine of the network. The kami is also enshrined in some Buddhist temples.

The entrance to an Inari shrine is usually marked by one or more vermilion torii and two white foxes. This red color has come to be identified with Inari because of the prevalence of its use among Inari shrines and their torii. The kitsune statues are at times mistakenly believed to be a form assumed by Inari, and they typically come in pairs, representing a male and a female, although sex is usually not obvious. These fox statues hold a symbolic item in their mouths or beneath a front paw – most often a jewel and a key, but a sheaf of rice, a scroll, or a fox cub are also common. Almost all Inari shrines, no matter how small, will feature at least a pair of these statues, usually flanking, on the altar, or in front of the main sanctuary.

Last edited by ghp95134; 03-03-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Doggone Formatting!!!!

?

The Marines and the Army 132nd fought together at Guadalcanal... so it has both info. The 132nd Army Infantry Regiment landed at Guadalcanal to support the Marines, and sometimes they stood together for support. I also have this book... for the unit history and battles...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

?

Oh I added the write up, because it had Cpl. John McHough's name listed on part of the story...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Banzai charge(萬歳突撃) recovery, early war from a 132nd Infantry Regiment vet  

Ahhhh ... thanks!

I saw McHugh's name there, but all references were USMC, ergo my confusion. When I double-checked Google before posting, all I found about this battle concerned Marines. I should have deepened my research.

Ha! My friend's father fought in the Pacific as an Army officer; he was flustered because almost everybody thinks only Marines fought in the Pacific. I, too, am a victim of this thinking.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

So... what told... is the items were picked up after a bonzi charge... the guy changed John McHugh and John took him out.

The first two or so pages is about the 1st Marine regiment's engagement against the Ichiki detachment known as the battle of the Tenaru. This took place in August 1942. The 132nd IR got to Guadalcanal that following December 1942. The 132nd is the national guard unit that is depicted in the movie 'The Thin Red Line'. Kind of confusing the way it's laid out. The NCO sword is really nice!