Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Big score: Flags, navy caps, senninbari

Article about: Lucky week for me. Not pictured are photo albums, and non-military antiques.

?

I haven't had time to translate it all yet, my Japanese skills are dependent on looking stuff up if it's anything but the most common kanji. I do know the right column says "303 Air" for the unit and the size stamp "small"

?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Very strange navy cap! Lots of details I've never seen before! Cloth covered chinstrap buttons, size ink stamp & that anchor insignia all give me concerns. Cap insignia should be machine sewn on. Look forward to that interior kanji translation. Please post reverse of the round ratings. I fear they are copies
    Buttons aren't cloth covered, they are rusted.

?

me gusta
    (very nice stuff!)

?

First round rating is a repro for sure.

?

Looks like some nice items in there! The stripe on the cap looks to be hand sewn? The insignia looks very new but could it be the pics?

Metal vents are sometimes seen on these caps.

Regards

Russ

I see these issues on the Round Ratings from left to right when viewed from Front (click to enlarge)

1. Wrong material on white - looks like felt, anchor is just too thin. Front side material should always wrap around a cloth inner core and just folds over the edges and sewn (like in #3). That's also why blue on whites don't show threads on their back side. Saw this one on Ebay a month or 3 ago and passed on it - think it was sold by militraypackrat (?)
    2.) Torpedos lack the true shape at both ends. Threads should be black and are not in the right place to accent the shape around fins or tip - slightly better repro
    3.) Original - low rank and common
    4.) Still looking at this one

Sorry but I've got about 45+ of these so I'm not firing from the hip on these comments - 1 and 2 are doubtful
    Last edited by Long Shot; 05-13-2020 at 02:50 AM.

三〇三空
    303 Air

築城基地
    Tsuiki Base

[3rd line I can't read]

今村上飛曹
    Flight Chief Petty Officer Imamura

Still used today by the JASDF.

Japanese Wiki for the 築城海軍航空隊 [Tsuiki Kaigun Kōkūtai].
    But the wiki does not mention the 303 Air [wing?] (it does mention the 203rd).

Also, I'm wondering at someone writing tactical information inside his cap.....???

-- Guy

?

Yes aside from the engineer 2nd class rate, the rest are all obvious repros. I've made them myself (not for selling of course), takes only about $2 material to make a convincing fake. The stitching and design of those sakuras is generally a dead giveaway.

?

It looks like it is short hand for the 303rd Air Group, but I am not having lots of luck finding that unit.

Tom

?

Could it be a post war unit? Caps are extremely odd especially insignia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2