Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Black painted tsuba.

Article about: No arms fairs currently, so buying gunto koshirae from the internet. Recently I bought and received what is supposedly a full set, but which I suspect is an assemblage of parts. The tsuba is

?

Default Black painted tsuba.

No arms fairs currently, so buying gunto koshirae from the internet. Recently I bought and received what is supposedly a full set, but which I suspect is an assemblage of parts. The tsuba is nice, still has gilding and burnishing, but is partially covered in black paint. My question is, are there any circumstances where this would be legitimately allowed in the IJA, or is it more likely a post war attempt to make it look more traditional? I am happy enough with the lot, but would like to know more before I clean the paint off.
    Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.

?

Having had time to look over the pieces I now know more about them. The tsuka which looked pretty standard turns out to have fuchi, menuki and kabutogani made of iron or steel. The menuki are gilded and the other two pieces plated in copper? and the kabutogani detailed with gilding in the regulation fashion. The "same" its real, but finer scaled than usual, so probably dogfish or shark. It's all looking a bit late war. I think the saya belongs, but has lost it's field cover and haikan, it's looking like an old blade (now missing) was sent to war.
    Under the paint, the tsuba is very nice, brass gilded and burnished to have matt and bright areas.....and I wonder a bit about it. Late war, and I think this is late war, could be plated iron.

Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.Black painted tsuba.

When you say kabutogani, you are actually referring to a trilobite-like sea creature designated a protected species in Japan. You must mean kabutogane.
    Attached Images Attached Images Black painted tsuba. 

?

i thought it didn't look right! What do you think of the tsuba and tsuka?

?

Same is from shark