Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago

Article about: Banzai Shoot/Blevins cookout and shoot many years back. Doss White, wife and many other characters in attendance. Good food, shooting exotic weaponry, and horse trading and selling. I look f

?

Default Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago

Banzai Shoot/Blevins cookout and shoot many years back. Doss White, wife and many other characters in attendance. Good food, shooting exotic weaponry, and horse trading and selling. I look forward to a return to these days. Weaponry and shooting line can be seen. Forgive my "disremembering some of the folks in attendance. Passionate folks and weaponry. Best of times! Regards, Russ A.

Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago

Looks great fun! I am lucky in that although I live in the UK I do have a nice 100 yd range only 35 minutes drive away. Have been looking for a Type 38 for the last couple of years, but buying opportunities over here are very limited. Covid's also got so much shut down. Looking forward to us all getting out of this present nightmare.
    Here's to good days ahead for us!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    ... I live in the UK I do have a nice 100 yd range only 35 minutes drive away. ...
    Hi Tony,

How is it there is a 100 yard range there? I thought that private citizens are no longer allowed to possess rifles and pistols in the UK. And 100 yards isn't needed for shotguns, right? Can you still hunt deer with rifles over there?

I worked at Armadale Castle in the summer of 1978 and the local story was that Lord Macdonald (current Macdonald's father; said to be the inspiration for Compton Mackenzie's Monarch of the Glen) used to let the SAS stalk deer on his estate in Skye. But that was in the '60s .... and they were not private citizens.

I thought the days of Geoffrey Boothroyd were long over.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

Hi Tony, Yes Sir, this covid thing is a bit out of hand. Back to normal life will be welcome. You are fortunate to have a range so closely to you. I would be interested in seeing a British range.
    Very Best to you, Russ

Interesting anecdote Guy.

Hi Guy, Russ,

Yes, it is a common misconception that firearms are banned in the UK. In theory if you have a good reason then as a British citizen you have the right to own a firearm (the usual good reasons are hunting or target shooting for rifles - self defence will definitely not get you a licence!). You need to evidence the justification on your application, existing membership of a shooting club, landowner's permission to hunt etc.
    What has happened though in recent history is that more and more classes of firearm get moved into the prohibited weapons category, usually following some tragic massacre. Self-loading rifles went in 1988, and pistols in 1997. So for citizens of Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) the reality now is that one is restricted to bolt action or lever action rifles (actually 0.22 rimfire semi-automatics are still allowed), and shotguns. For now you can still have .50 cal rifles, but bet that will be the next to go! Ironically citizens of Northern Ireland can still have pistols as they are covered by different legislation. Firearm certificate registration conditions are pretty strict.

My main interest is rifles of the First World War, so at least that is an interest I can still pursue.

There are a limited number of private ranges where full bore shooting can be carried out, but authorised clubs can book onto military ranges to shoot at longer ranges. I am lucky in that my local shooting club has a 100 yard and 2 x 50 yard ranges. Shooting there is relaxed, so it is a very pleasant experience.

I have attached a pic of the 100 yard range - that is not my rifle, too modern! Also my club on a military range shooting Hun's Head at 300 yards (political correctness seems not yet to have entered the world of targets, wonder what the Germans shoot at?!).

Cheers,
    Tony

Blevins/Banzai Shoot many years agoBlevins/Banzai Shoot many years agoBlevins/Banzai Shoot many years ago

?

Thanks Tony. Fascinating images. The pits and the cars alongside stand out in interest for me. Looks like a great time! Thanks for the energy you expended in showing us! Best to you, Russ