Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Comfort Bag

Article about: Okay, I have a confession to make: I am a closet comfort bag collector! Yes, it's true and I think that the reason has to do with the artwork on the fronts of the bags as well as the often i

?

Interesting thread, Mike!

I am wondering if your samurai figure on the bag above might be Momotaro.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Hi Tom-
    Yes, Momotaro represents the Japanese government in this WW 2 version of the story. Like the story of Momotaro, there is some applicable overlap between it, and the story of the Crab and the Monkey. Momotaro defeated the ONI (enemies of Japan). In the second story symbolism, the Japanese are forced to defend themselves following betrayal from those they trusted (The US, UK, and others). In understanding the Portsmouth Treaty, and additional agreements following the end of the Russo-Japanese War, it could be argued that the Japanese government felt betrayed by the World's powers, and saw no other alternative than to attack the West, precipitating WW2. It's interesting how history tends to be repeated, and how ancient lore continues to be recycled in order to provide an imaginative illustration. As The Good Book tells us, it appears that there is nothing new under the sun"!

MichaelB

Default Comfort Bag

I am re-posting an image of the Comfort Bag seen in Post #70. The bag in the original post was really wrinkled, and it was difficult to see the entire caricature well. In this new photo, you can see better the Japanese aircraft in the upper right-hand corner. This bag example also has the price/ price control stamps on it.
    MichaelBComfort Bag

Default Green Caricature Comfort Bag

This Comfort Bag shows the caricature heads of Chiang Kai-shek, Winston Churchil, and Franklin Roosevelt. All 3 leaders are being skewered through their heads! Chiang's figure is shedding tears (he is normally seen crying!), Churchill, cigar in mouth is also seen crying. F.D.R.'s crying face is also shown with horns sprouting from the top of his head, a la the devil. In the upper right-hand corner are the 3 characters for "Imon Bukuro", or Comfort Bag. In the lower left-hand corner is the blank, "To...", and "From..." box.
    MichaelB
    Comfort Bag

Default Comfort Bag with Tank and Airplane

I recently came across this Comfort Bag and wanted to add it to the thread: On one side of the bag, the art theme portrays a marvelous tank and airplane with large ship's anchor in the center. On the reverse, the characters for Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting" are shown in the upper right, while to the left of those, the 3 characters for Imon Bukuro or "Comfort Bag" may be seen. The bag is un-issued, and is made from a coarse hemp material. The tie strings are present.
    MichaelB

Comfort BagComfort Bag

?

I like that anchor ! If you run across another please keep me in mind !

Default Comfort Bag with Imperial Star in the Center

This particular Comfort Bag is made from a white cotton material. The tie string is also made from white cotton. The illustration and characters printed upon the bag are done exclusively in a darker blue color. There are a number of lines of characters. In the center of the bag a Japanese Imperial Star is shown. Beneath it are the kanji for "Comfort Bag". To the right of that, empty boxes are evident where the "To..." and "From..." information would have normally been added.
    It's plain, but I think that it looks rather nice.

MichaelB

Comfort Bag

Default Comfort Bag with Rising Sun, River, and Trees

The pictured Comfort Bag is made from a white cotton material. A long portion of its tie string has been broken or cut, with only a short piece remaining. The bag has its artwork printed in the color red, making the printing upon the front material easier than a multi-color application. Near the top of the design, a rising sun is seen coming up over the horizon. 3 large characters for Imon Bukuro or "Comfort Bag" may be observed immediately below that. The outline of a river may be seen flowing from near the foreground, disappearing across the bag, and then exiting to the left-hand side of the image. Along the near bottom aspect of the bag, 2 large trees are seen growing along a hilly slope.

MichaelB

Comfort Bag

Quote by tomp View Post
    i am wondering if your samurai figure on the bag above might be momotaro.
    definitely!
    Behind the gate, they found the ogres.. Momotaro, the dog, the monkey and the pheasant all attacked the bad guys and defeated them.

Momotaro ... defeated the red ogre, who was the boss.

The ogres bowed down before Momotaro and promised never to do wicked things again. …And everyone lived happily ever after!

Full illustrated story in English
    Oops ... I have the illustrations in reverse order.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Comfort Bag   Comfort Bag  

Comfort Bag  

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast