Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Could someone please translate this?

Article about: Hello everyone, I found this album with pictures of a submarine in it. Could someone please translate the writing? As Always your time and help is mutch apreciated!!! Regards Delibes

Default Could someone please translate this?

Hello everyone,

I found this album with pictures of a submarine in it. Could someone please translate the writing?
    As Always your time and help is mutch apreciated!!!

Regards Delibes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could someone please translate this?   Could someone please translate this?  

?

Interesting! It is the I-31; made several supply runs to Attu/Kiska. See here:

Imperial Submarines

One picture shows the sub off of Attu. Great pics., thanks for sharing!

Tom

?

The first picture says it is Japanese I 31 submarine and it was sunk at Showa Year 18, May 3. On the right is a guy with his name below.
    The second photo says where ( an island which I can not read the Japanese name) this photo of this I 31 was taken. On the right is a photo showing 2 crews of this I 31 during their training at submarine school.

Great images!

伊號三十一潜水艦
    昭和十八年五月三日撃沈ス

I-Class 31 Submarine
    Sunk on Showa 18 [1943], May 3

兄 重夫 (22才)
    Elder brother Shigeo (22 years old)
    [NB: "elder brother" meaning his shipmate who was in service before him]

======

アッツ島二向ク伊號三十一潜水艦
    Attsu-tō ni muke I-Gō 31 Sensuikan
    The I-31 Submarine looking out on Attu Island

弟 正 (19才)
    伊號三十一潜水艦乗組
    潜水学校入校当時

Younger brother Tadashi (19 years old) [NB: "younger brother" meaning his shipmate who junior in service to him]
    Crew member, I-31 Submarine
    At the time he entered Submarine School

- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 10-01-2020 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Change "sinking a ship" to SUNK.

Very nice!! Thank you all for your kind words and help translating for me! Guy as always when needed you are there helping us knows it is appreciated!!!!

Very cool album - please show some more pictures from it and the cover(s) if they shed any light.

So the picture with the twin barrel guns and looking out on an island is a bit of a mystery. If I follow Guys translation it indicates it was taken from the I-31?? ( and the conning tower since this is the only place where the twin guns are located)

But the physical details in the photo don't support what the label proclaims

The Japanese submarine I-31 was one of 20 Type B cruiser submarines of the B1 sub-class built for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during the 1940s. these submarines held a folding wing scout aircraft in a water proof hangar located forward of the bridge. A famous sister ship, the I-19, holds the distinction of being the only IJN or Nazi vessel to launch an aircraft that bombed the mainland.

BUT - this class of submarine do not have a twin mount gun like the one in the photo and certainly not one with a chain guard rails as pictured. The guns were mounted atop a superstructure which has solid walls - not chains.

So, regardless of the picture caption label - this is NOT from the I-31. Too bad because if it was that would be a real rare shot!

As additional, "slam dunk" proof I posted a perfect angle closeup of the sister ship I-27 and I-29 showing no chain rail around the conning tower and that even the guard rail used on the submarines was SOLID - not chains.

Sorry they are no other pictures of the sub there are navy portrait pictures of an officer and other seaman and just army pictures of carmechanics i think maybe his brother. Also if you look closely to the tower of the sub he has not the line of the i31 he has more a line like the KD4type and the picture with the twin barrel maybe a military ship and not a sub?? I d'ont know if there is any sub with a chain rail?

Thank you for helping.

Regards

Quote by Long Shot View Post

But the physical details in the photo don't support what the label proclaims

The Japanese submarine I-31 was one of 20 Type B cruiser submarines of the B1 sub-class built for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during the 1940s.
    Here is the I-26, I-19, & I-15 of the same class. I don't see a wall around the gun. [The I-15 image opens to a larger size.]

It looks to me like there is no wall there -- am I misinterpreting the lines of the boat?

-- Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could someone please translate this?   Could someone please translate this?  

Yes, you are - look at my photos - especially the one of the model.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast