Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)

Article about: The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938) Why a Field Cap? The legacy of WWI put the development of steel helmets and gas masks on the priority list for the Japanese Army, and as bot

Here's another fake to add to the listing of fakes shown in post 12. Though the 1944 markings for Fukusuke Tabi Company is well done, the incorrectly shaped fake hardware gives everything away easily.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)  

Here's another fake of a Fukusuke-made flap. Though the hardware's bluing may fool a few, they are nowhere near mil-spec and additionally the cautious faker changed part of the Fukusuke name to avoid legal problems.

Both Fukusuke markings shown below are fake, but one can face legal charges by showing the full Fukusuke name.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)   The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)  

Please disregard the photo I showed in post 28 as a good example, as it turns out the markings are bogus like the one above. For the correct mil-specs for the hook hardware, please refer to posts 12 and 16.

Another bogus flap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)  

Related to the order issued on 7th September 1945, ordering army soldiers to remove field cap insignia, here's a film showing how well the order was observed. The film features the arrival of aircraft carrier Katsuragi and cruiser Yakumo at Hiroshima in March 1946, repatriating Japanese troops from Rabaul.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Related to the order issued on 7th September 1945[/URL], ordering army soldiers to remove field cap insignia,...
    I was thinking because they made good bullseyes? But then I actually clicked your link and read:
    Quote by Nick
    ...Another decree dated 7th September 1945 said that those who chose to wear the field cap as part of their civilian outfit must ensure that the star insignia were removed. ...
    Aha! Now I understand. Thanks Nick!

-- Guy

?

Excellent piece of video Nick, some small portions of that have been used in documentaries.

Regards

Russ

Treatment of vent and lace-up holes on IJA field caps

Of the two treatment styles shown below, although the top style was considered the favored standard method, specs released on 8th April 1943 also allowed the bottom simplified style. They were applied to the vent holes as well as the size adjustment lace holes.

Either way, it is clear that using metal grommets would have been more efficient, but the IJA did not allow grommets, presumably to minimize complications in supply logistics that can easily be disrupted by bombing raids and hold up production.

By the way, even for the favored top method, both hand-sewing and machine sewing methods were optional to the manufacturer.

Great stuff, Nick.

Would you be able to elaborate some more as to how exactly the flaps were applied to the hat? In repros I have the clips slide into small stitches on the sides of the hat, in just holes in others. I am interested as to how it was actually done.

Cheers
    Liam

As I explained in the thread, a 10mm long thread loop was placed 60mm apart around the rear as shown in official spec sheet drawings below.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast