Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Does this IJA insignia look period applied?

Article about: Hello all, I thought I might seek your guidance on this piece. I'm quite interested but wanted to ensure at least upon what photos there are, the insignia seem period and period applied. Gra

Default Does this IJA insignia look period applied?

Hello all,

I thought I might seek your guidance on this piece. I'm quite interested but wanted to ensure at least upon what photos there are, the insignia seem period and period applied. Grateful as always!

Unfortunately, the insignia is post war applied. There is no user name written in the inside so the tunic was never issued during the war but was worn after the war.
    (The first thing new recruits were ordered to do upon being issued with clothing was to write their names in the appropriate position in the lining.). Although all insignia on war time Japanese military uniforms were hand sewn, the stitching is too poorly done and in the wrong kind of thread (thick whitish thread as opposed to thinner khaki colored thread) in the example shown.
    If you are thinking of buying the tunic, you should ask for photos of the rear of the tunic, there should be a buttoned tab for holding the bayonet on the left side at about kidney height. This is often removed from uniforms worn by civilians after the war.

It's also a size 5 and stamped Showa 16 (1941) and the depot mark is in a shadow but it looks like Hiroshima depot.

Bill
    Last edited by SHEMP H; 04-16-2024 at 12:01 AM.
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Indebted to you for your knowledge on this item! Thank you for sharing your wisdom, helpful advice and thoughts as they not only kept me away from this tunic but educated me in the process!

- - ------- - -

Fascinating! Appreciate the wisdom Bill!

You don't have to stay clear of this tunic unless as Akira said that there is no loop for the belt on the left side if viewing from the back,and the price is right, you can just remove the rank, carefully!

Bill
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

The type of stitching and location of is completely wrong. Another bad sign is not finding a handwritten name on interior stamp. Otherwise this variation tunic is extremely common and easily found in mint unissued condition