Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Early war Nagoya type 38 Bayonet

Article about: I've been collecting militaria for about three years now, ranging from the American Civil War all the way through the cold war. However this is actually my first Japanese acquisition of any

Default Early war Nagoya type 38 Bayonet

Early war Nagoya type 38 BayonetEarly war Nagoya type 38 BayonetEarly war Nagoya type 38 Bayonet

I've been collecting militaria for about three years now, ranging from the American Civil War all the way through the cold war. However this is actually my first Japanese acquisition of any kind. I don't know much of anything about these, other than what I found with a simple google search. It was made by the Nagoya Arsenal early in the war, due to the metal construction of the scabbard. It was heavily oiled with what smelled like gun oil, which took forever to wipe off (all brown and cruddy from years and years of sheathed storage).

What is the serial number on the bayonet? Does it have any characters before the numbers?

It looks like a Type 30 bayonet to me. I am not sure I have heard of a type 38. Following.
    John

I agree with John it’s a type 30. It may have been used for the type 38 rifle but the bayonet it’s self is the type 30. I can’t tell if it’s a dull edge but I’ve read that the older bayonets with a more polished finish and dull edge were repurposed for training bayonets

Quote by paul kennedy View Post
    What is the serial number on the bayonet? Does it have any characters before the numbers?
    Sorry fellas, I knew it went to the Type 38 rifle, and incorrectly called it a Type 38 bayonet. Doh!

Early war Nagoya type 38 Bayonet

I honestly didn't even know these had serial numbers until you said something, Paul. I looked all over and finally found the numbers on the pommel.

?

Looks like a Nagoya Arsenal 41st ㋯ series to me.

Hum... I would bet on a 45th ㋲ series.

So when y'all say 41st and 45th series, what does the series mean?

In basic terms a series is another run of serial numbers from 1-99999. Series numbers were issued in order meaning a 41st series would have been produced prior the the 45th series if assigned to the same factory. Several factories produced the type 30 bayonet over the years. I do not have the production charts for the type 30.
    John