Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Edo Period Kogatana/Kozuka

Article about: I don’t often see pre Meiji items posted on this forum so I decided I’d show one of my recent items. I generally don’t collect pre Meiji Japanese things but I thought this was especial

Default Edo Period Kogatana/Kozuka

Edo Period Kogatana/Kozuka

I don’t often see pre Meiji items posted on this forum so I decided I’d show one of my recent items. I generally don’t collect pre Meiji Japanese things but I thought this was especially interesting so I bought it. This is a Kogatana utility knife used by samurai. I believe this one is from the edo period but if anyone else knows something about these knives I’d love to learn more about it.

志津三郎兼氏
    Shidzu Saburō Kaneuji

From Markus Sesko's book:
    Quote by Markus Sesko
    KANEUJI (兼氏), Genroku (元禄, 1688-1704), Mino – “Shizu Saburō Kaneuji” (志津三郎兼氏), “Nōshū Ōgaki-jū Shizu Saburō Kaneuji” (濃州大垣住志津三郎兼氏), real name Tōyama Tō´emon (遠山藤右衛門), he lived in Ōgaki (大垣).

KANEUJI (兼氏), Kyōhō (享保, 1716-1736), Mino – “Nōshū Ōgaki-jū Shizu Saburō Kaneuji” (濃州大垣住 志津三郎兼氏), real name Tōyama Matazaemon (遠山又左衛門), he counted himself as 23rd gen. Kaneuji but this has to be taken with a grain of salt because an even later Kaneuji from the Kōka era (弘化, 1844-1848) signed with the supplement “19th gen. Kaneuji,” however, the later Kaneuji smiths from the Ōgaki line had specialized in the production of kogatana.

KANEUJI (兼氏), Tenmei (天明, 1781-1789), Mino – “Nōshū-jū Kaneuji” (濃州住兼氏), he lived in Seki.

KANEUJI (兼氏), Kōka (弘化, 1844-1848), Mino – “Nōshū Shizu Saburō jūkyū-daison Shizu Saburō Kaneuji, Yahagigawa-be ni oite kore o saku” (濃州志津三郎十九代孫志津三郎兼氏 矢作川辺作之, “made by Shizu Saburō Kaneuji on the shore of Yahagi river, 19th generation Shizu Saburō”), he lived in Seki, chū-saku.
    -- Guy

Thanks for the response, guy, do you think that this signature is authentic? Because I have had some people tell me that it was not, and others have said the opposite. Let me know what you think, and thanks for the help!

But the way it is engraved seems to vary from known examples. Here's more on him in English SHIZU SABURO KANEUJI 志津三郎兼氏 | NIHONTO

Thanks nick, I saw the same site. So do you think that the signature is not authenitic? If so would you say it’s a modern reproduction or possibly one of the original faked signatures?

Love that 大切先 Okissaki shown in that link!