Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Edo period sword?

Article about: Hello all, Another opportunity to purchase a WW2 type 98 (I believe). It looks to be in decent condition (With exception to the cutting edge). I don’t believe he’s selling this with the

Default Edo period sword?

Hello all,

Another opportunity to purchase a WW2 type 98 (I believe). It looks to be in decent condition (With exception to the cutting edge). I don’t believe he’s selling this with the saya. It also appears to have a nice active hamon...

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a tang with a filled hole... post war filler? I’m thinking this is an older blade...maybe edo? Or older?

The price would have to be a lot better in order to purchase.. I believe I can work with the nicks in the cutting edge if a deal can be reached.

These are the only pics... a bit blurry tang but hopefully good enough to read.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Edo period sword?   Edo period sword?  

Edo period sword?   Edo period sword?  

備前国住長船裕定作 Made by Hirosada Osafune of Bizen Domain.

I can see the .... but can't find any smiths called 裕定. Of course there is Sukesada 祐定.

備前国住長船祐定作
    Bizen no Kuni-jū Osafune Sukesada saku

26Intreped, can we get a clear shot of the 3rd from last kanji? I see what Nick sees -- every stroke of 裕 ... but am wondering if a stroke or two is actually an artefact? What makes me even question the kanji is where the "mouth" 口 is placed

Observation:
    . In the 谷 "valley" section the 口 would be more centered underneath, even when hand engraved.
    . In the 右 "right" section the 口 would be placed abutting the downward stroke. That is what I see in this engraving.

Thanks,
    -- Guy

Hi Guy,

I will try to get a better pic but the seller is a little “Standoff-ish”

Communication between us hasn’t been so great so I wouldn’t count on another photo (Sorry).
    He thinks that this sword could be worth around $15k after being repaired... hmmmm that sounds a tad bit high! Grin

Hi Guy,

Here’s the tang... sounds like he’s gonna list on eBay and I hope he gets his asking price.

That’s the best pic he could take... still a bit blurry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Edo period sword?