Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945)

Article about: The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945) There's more to it than you ever knew Another IJA item typically underappreciated by collectors, because o

My mistake on the number of characters. I see that now & had thought the second character was actually two. I asked a couple of friends about their holster markings and they are checking. One sent this photo & I'm thinking it might be the Japan Leather Company? I'm attaching the photo as I got it and with enhanced contrast.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945)   The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945)  

Yes, that could well be the logo for 日本皮株式会社 (Japan Leather Co in Osaka), but that logo consists only of the word leather (highlighted in red) in a circle, which would also apply to any leather company, so it's not certain. It would have made more sense to use an abbreviation like 日皮, which would have been more specific to that company.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Deciphering Taisho Era (1912-1926) Pouch Markings

And here is how to read the earlier markings. The production year on my rear pouch with screwdriver pocket is partly obscured, but a clear example from a bayonet frog is added to the right to show how it was initially marked.
    Nick, I'm pretty sure the marking you are showing as being for Osaka is actually part of the Taisho date

I take note of your point, but will have to come back to you on that at sometime in the future, as in the 2 years since writing this, I've had the misfortune of losing 2 hard drives and the original army documents from which I wrote the article were all lost in the crash.

Update to post 13, with thanks to arisakadogs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945)  

Great thread! I was wondering if anyone by chance had any of the measurements of the rear and front boxes? And if the sizes changed when they switched over to 7.7?

Impressive thread and very well documented.

Thanks for sharing

Bruno

In post 8, I explained how the strap for the lid of the front ammo pouches got shortened to 308 mm from the previous 312 mm in July 1934. However, curiously, the drawing below, taken from a manual printed in August 1917, already shows the length to be 308 mm.

This manual was actually for showing the company ordnance personnel how to fix straps that had stretched too long. It therefore shows how to cut it short at the middle and splice it together to a length of 308 mm. So already 17 years before the official spec change, they had known that 308 mm was the ideal length for a snug fit.

Therefore the dating method based on measurements explained in post 9 is only valid when the strap has no splicing joint seams in the middle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the IJA’s Type 30/38 Rifle Ammunition Pouches and Belt (1897-1945)  

?

Thank you Nick! A very fine and informative thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4