Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Golden Kite bring-back

Article about: Hi everyone, I recently received this one from a contact here who was given it by the NZ veteran who brought it back many years ago. It has some damage to the enamel in places. The veteran h

?

Default Golden Kite bring-back

Hi everyone, I recently received this one from a contact here who was given it by the NZ veteran who brought it back many years ago. It has some damage to the enamel in places. The veteran had his name and service number engraved or stamped on to the reverse of the award.

The ribbon and hook are incorrect, and are from a Manchkuo Red Cross award but this is how it was when it was given by the veteran to the person I got it from. He was in the Occupation Force in Japan from 1945 until 1948. I've been advised that this Golden Kite is from the Meiji era.

Golden Kite bring-back

Golden Kite bring-back
    Last edited by RussM; 06-04-2022 at 06:45 AM.

?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Tom

Russ, here's what surely must be your best news in a while. To me, that is clearly the sash order for the Golden Kite 1st Class. I can already tell by the ball on top which takes the ring, but to be sure, measure the width to see whether it is 75.75 mm wide instead of 50.45 mm wide, which is the next size down for the 3rd class. All the gold has rubbed off in the back, but I'm sure you got more than you bargained for.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Golden Kite bring-back  

?

Great find Russ , i really like that award and its patina .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hi Nick, wow, you really got me going with that info!!

The width of the award is neither of the above unfortunately so am wondering whether the info I got about it being a Meiji era award is either incorrect or the awards from that period are different measurements than those you have provided above? This one is a touch over 45mm wide. I was advised by the person I got it from that it was a 4th or 5th Class award but see I neglected to add that info in my first post. Perhaps 45mm is the measure for 4th or 5th class?

Golden Kite bring-back

Then I'm sorry to have gotten your expectations up unnecessarily, as 45.50mm is indeed correct for 4th/5th class. Over-proportioned ring size obviously gave me the wrong impression, as well as the ball shape, but admittedly I have never examined a 4th or 5th Meiji type without the ribbon, so that may have also been the reason. Apologies.

?

Nick, absolutely no apology needed, I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out, and I thank you very much for doing the research on it! The info you have provided is still very useful to all of us as it can help us identify these awards correctly down to 5th Class. Many thanks again!

?

Still a great looking award though Russ
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...