Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

helmet marine japanese

Article about: hello does this helmet seem original to you?

Damage jareth..

?

Sorry all but I'm just as confused now as lassalle is.

I did not see what was written in the now-deleted posts, maybe I missed something there.

We were looking for a helmet at 1500g being a Type 3.

It seems that lassalle's helmet being 1570g and 2.3mm thick is now too heavy and/or too thick to be a Type 3. So are we saying now that the helmets that are in collections that have the same look, insignia, rough finish, cotter pins etc as presented by lassale are thought now, to not be Type 3's?

Now 1400g has come in to play - is that the approximate weight we are looking for now to confirm a Type 3 helmet?

?

Reading all of this again I think it was perhaps premature to call lassalle’s helmet a Type 3 as there was no accurate or precise weight or thickness of the shell detailed until much later in the thread.

So, we still don’t know what type lassalle’s helmet is, and what it was used for except that it falls in to the bullet-proof range based on the thickness of the steel.
    Last edited by RussM; 01-20-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Sp.

?

I’m thinking now that the helmet covers were quite likely to be standard navy covers as used on the ‘normal’ Type 2 helmet.

?

Scott mentioned earlier that the Type 3 helmet might actually have been the ones that are still painted the original grey on the inside but have been overpainted in the correct brown colour on the exterior. Many of those had leather liners. I wonder, if anyone has any of that type, could they be weighed and measured?

bonjour les kangi du casque peuvent peut etre amener des informations?ghp95134 a amener une traduction du premier à voir....(porter secours,aide,reconfort....)Naval landing forces?medecin des naval landing forces?

Naval landing forces?medecin des naval landing forces?

Measuring thickness of pressed steel is difficult, as steel stretches and thins out as it gets pressed to form a dome. You need to measure it at the dome where your head comes. That's why a simple caliper won't work, as it cannot get into the dome. If measured at the rim with a normal caliper, naturally it can be thicker. Also the rim is slightly crimped and not flat, so a caliper reading becomes totally unreliable.

Whatever the helmet starting this thread is, collectors claimed that the style could only be seen on grey pre-39 helmets, which may have been prototypes of the Model 3.

So I thought we needed to assume that the Type 3 evolved and improved over time to be indistinguishable from Type 2s in its brown form, which is why I stressed we go strictly by weight alone, 1400 grams being the threshold (Type 2=1200 grams X 1.2=1440). I'm sure all collectors have checked their collections by now and we have not found a single example in the right weight range. What happened to those significant numbers? We don't know and we unfortunately have exhausted means and facts to know more at this time.

However, for NLF collectors to know that they are still missing the centerpiece of their Pacific War collection should be enough incentive for them to keep on actively searching, which equally applies to researchers. For the mystery to have gained enough public attention to leave a big question mark in our minds will have to be enough for now.

Until new facts emerge, there is no sense in continuing this discussion.

?

bonjour les kangi du casque peuvent peut etre amener des informations?ghp95134 a amener une traduction du premier à voir....(porter secours,aide,reconfort....)Naval landing forces?medecin des naval landing forces?

The kanji would certainly seem to suggest such a possibility, or perhaps a medic.

My three naval helmets all weigh in the 1200 range.

In rereading this thread, again, I am still confused. I am not sure where the 1400g thing comes into play. However, I can guarantee there was no "mass extinction" of these helmets. It did NOT happen. Logistics would be improbable if not impossible. Again I reference the US Westinghouse Jungle liner as case and point of a top down order to recall and destroy. It didn't work and the liners still exist in numbers. If the model 3 existed, it still exists. Period.

The only conclusion is that one of the assumptions in this thread is wrong. I think other avenues or venues need to be explored.

For example: Perhaps the 1.2mm 1400g is the plate steel before pressing/forming/ect. After it was formed, it was trimmed reducing the weight back to ~1200g

Or by some variation of that metal anchor is type 2, painted type 3.

But if the type 3 existed at all at any point whatsoever it still exists and they reside in collections.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast