Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying Nikko cased instrument

Article about: Trying to figure out exactly what this piece is but cant find a match. It is in a custom case to fit it and marked nikko. The number 896 on the instrument matches the box. I also dont read j

Default Help identifying Nikko cased instrument

Trying to figure out exactly what this piece is but cant find a match. It is in a custom case to fit it and marked nikko. The number 896 on the instrument matches the box. I also dont read japanese so not sure if front tels what it is or not. Based on origin i’m pretty sure they are of wwii military connection. Any help appreciatedHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrumentHelp identifying Nikko cased instrument

The photos are the poorest I've seen in a long time, but I can barely read the item is an optical percussion primer chamber inspection (mirror) device, dated October 1944 for heavy artillery shells.

Nick—that is oncredibly helpful. I spent over half a day yesterday trying to find some idea of what this used for. I could try and take another picture of the writing part if you think thatll help. I will now try to see if i can find a picture of the item in service. Any idea if it would have been used in navy or air operations?

A properly focused photo of the name plate should tell army or navy, but I doubt you'll find any visuals depicting it in use, as I already tried in Japanese.

Help identifying Nikko cased instrumentHere is nameplate. I didn’t realize it would tell branch of service, date, etc. i cant thank you enough for feedback as i cant relay the help youve been in identifying this.

Just guessing here, but I think the cherry blossom would indicate Army, whereas an anchor would be Navy.

--Guy

?

my vote is navy

Quote by Jareth View Post
    my vote is navy
    +1 - Guy the inspection symbol of the "I" in a circle is classic IJN. So I'm going that way too. IJN uses a sakura on some tags, lots of dirks fittings and even aircraft parts!

So assuming it is naval related then. Any idea on how this would work to examine an artillery chamber? I cant come across any literature on how those were inspected as that is what this is according to nick. Btw, this forum is incredibly helpful-lots of great articles on top threads i’ve been reading through to get better educated so appreciate all the feedback.

?

I can only guess cannon breach was opened & mirror allowed you to check bore etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast