Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help with Mei and Tensho Script

Article about: Dan has this Meiji era blade with some Tensho script at the top. Could I get a translation of both the mei and the script, please? Found here: Bruce Pennington Stamp Alert! - Military Swords

?

陸軍東京砲兵工廠にて製造。銘は「 銃兼正」と切り、その下に村田経芳 四字を篆書して、二字に合成した刻 印を打った。
    村田刀 Murata-tō

The link above is courtesy of SteveM and below is my reply. Nick & Guy, any thoughts about this?

"I am seeing this kanji character arrangement as follows. The top row kanji characters 1 & 2 (村田) are reading from left to right with the right side of character 1 on top of character 2. The bottom row kanji characters 3 & 4 (経芳) are reading from right to left. See below for a graphic depiction.
    12 村田
    43 芳経"

For those that would like to learn more about the Baron Murata, see the link below.
    刀剣の精神 村田經芳

With that kind of fuzzy photo, you can make me see almost anything with my imagination. If you said Loch Ness monster, I'd say, yes, possibly I see the long neck and horns. If it is an artificial composite of 4 kanjis into 2, it becomes all the more critical to see that all necessary strokes are there for the stroke count.

If that stamp is a known stamp, there must be clear photos elsewhere to make a comparison.

Thomas
    Thanks for decode these 篆字。I think they were maybe simplified as 木田芳系 or 木田芳圣 instead of full characters 村田芳経

Default Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

Quote by bangbangsan View Post
    Thomas
    Thanks for decode these 篆字。I think they were maybe simplified as 木田芳系 or 木田芳圣 instead of full characters 村田芳経

Thanks Bangbangsan. I definitely see the 村 and 芳; but I'll be hanged if I see 田 or the rest of the kanji following the 芳

BUT .... what about the actual mei? Who can decipher that third kanji that looks like a 不 with the third stroke written horizontally at the base .... one of the guys at that other web site said it looked like 元 ... weird stroke-order in either case. And no google hits for either one.
    小銃
    小銃

I'm starting to take Nick's side ..... I'm seeing Nessie!

This is a fun and enthralling group effort and I'm getting lots of enjoyment (and frustration) from it.

-- Guy

木(寸)田 芳 (系)圣 ,simplified the 村 to 木,経 to 圣。

Quote by bangbangsan View Post
    木(寸)田 芳 (系)圣 ,simplified the 村 to 木,経 to 圣。
    Thanks Bangbangsan. I see how you've highlighted the modified kanji and follow you're thought. Geez, I just don't get it. I mean, I do see it now, but why do all that, then sign the sword with another signature?

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

I just learned Murata actually used an older version of 経 in his first name.
    經芳

I just re-read Ohmura's page on Murata-to and he mentions an "ancient script" 2-stamp on a sword of Murata's making. He also said:

"In addition, the Mei of "Kanemasa" or "Murata Tsuneyoshi " was cut by the sword which Tsuneyoshi Murata forge himself." So appearantly, Murata was using the name Kanemasa on his swords.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2